AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
2K members online now
2K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

276 pages indexed

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So, a website that has less than 10 pages on it, shows 276 pages indexed in Search Console.

What am I not understanding about sitemap indexing? I don't have that many pages on my website.

I would post screenshots but, I get some stupid error about invalid HTML (even tho I'm using the Rich Text option, not the HTML option) when I try to include screenshots so you'll just have to take my word for it =]

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 276 pages indexed

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@James W, is your website built on WordPress? If so, that could explain it (I have seen Wordpress blog posts get counted as pages before). 

And if you are using WordPress... do you have an XML sitemap updated and submitted or are you using the build-in site map generator of WordPress or another sitemap plugin? And are you using only one tool for the sitemap creation?

For more help about Google Search Console, you might enjoy this resource

For more help about Sitemaps and Google Search Console, you might enjoy this resource

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, it's a WordPress site but there are only about 5 blog posts.

The sitemap is generated by Yoast. The sitemap can be seen at
www.chromebook.guide/sitemap_index.html

Thanks for taking an interest,

-James Welbes
Internet Consultant

www.whichchromebookshouldibuy.com
www.chromebooks.support

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Using yoast you can set it up to avoid this. Wordpress publishes images as their own pages and categories become their own pages as do tags so if you use a tag that is the same word as a category name you can have duplicate content pages. Also, if you do not have a 301 redirect from the www or non www version of your domain to the other (desired) version then again you will have duplicate content as search will see both versions of the domain as their own individual site

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@James W, very welcome.

WordPress is your culprit, not Search Console. I would investigate within the admin panel of your WordPress site... and you should find what you are looking for. 

As @MikeJohnston touched on, WordPress is known to make a mountain out of a molehill and you will want to mitigate this. Yoast is a very common and popular SEO plugin that can help and it will allow the creation of a properly constructed XML sitemap, too.

Do you have an crawl errors listed in Google Search Console?  

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
This is all very helpful information, thank you guys very much!

I think the problem is Yoast is including media, as you suggested, and the theme I'm using came preloaded with a ton of images. Over 200 images, to be exact.

I think I'll turn "Media" off in the Yoast Sitemap, and won't turn it back on until I've had time to clean up all these useless images..

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Very welcome, @James W.

It's great to hear that you have this taken care of and learned more about WordPress and Yoast. Robot Happy

Please post back if you need further assistance.... have a super great week! 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I sure hope it's taken care of.

Traffic to this website dipped down to about half when I moved it to a new domain and a fresh WordPress instance. I'm really hoping that traffic comes back. I read online that someone did a similar thing and their traffic also dipped down really low, but that it came back after about 3 weeks.

Just trying to figure out what's different. I have 301 redirects from the old site, I did the Domain change form in Search Console. But for over a week Google Search Console wouldn't index anything then all of a sudden, BOOM 276 pages indexed...

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Yes, changing domains and site structure can have a serious effect on a website. With 301 redirects set up with a Search Console profile, you should resume soon. I would resubmit the Sitemap 1-2 times weekly once you have the site structure as you want it.

1) Get Site Structure Completed (perfected).

2) Create Proper & Current XML Sitemap.

3) Submit Sitemap to Google Search Console. 

4) Review Search Console twice daily for errors and to verify Sitemap has been indexed. 

5) Correct errors as they show up. Add new 301 redirects, perfect site structure, resubmit Sitemap (1-2 X weekly) until website resume normal operation.