AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

2 Least Informed Industries About AdWords

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Happy Thursday Y'all.  

What are the least informed industries in regards to their understanding of AdWords.  Here's my top 2.  Feel free to add others.  

1. Automotive:

I currently manage the PPC accounts for 35 dealerships.  The best story to begin with... is 15 of these GMs sit and type keyword after keyword and ask weekly why they didn't show up. Several GMs encourage their sales people to keep driving those impressions up.  They know clicking cost money, however further education about impression shares hasn't stuck.  If they don't see it... they don't believe it's running. 

2. Lawyers (Personal Injury)

I manage several large law firm accounts.... luckily I'm a lawyer as well.  Otherwise it would drive me insane the specifics of their questions.  It's getting better; I come across PPC law articles regularly now.  However, there's a lot of things the State Bar frowns upon... which makes lawyers want to do it... but only if they can shift liability to you.  Law firms bring up "free PPC" which when defined.... is just SEO.  The crux of the problem is lawyers read random articles... make up things... then create a touch screen Google Driving Car advertising campaign for you to execute on.  

*Some honorable mentions: landscaping, e-commerce (bath salts and coins), yoga, gym and fitness, and locksmiths.  

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 2 Least Informed Industries About AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Very nice, @Tony_Guo

I agree on the Automotive and Legal industries and your spot on assessment. I work for Lawyers and am highly involved in the automotive industries, both as a marketer and vehicle modification facility owner... so I do know what you are saying with intimate knowledge.

It is surprising at how many lawyers are unaware of the Bar rules for advertising. It must be adhered to and will bring about better results for them, and for the entire industry.

And the hardest part of managing some accounts is their want to search and click. I had one client that would search for keywords, click on their own website, close it and go back to the SERPs and click on their competitors. I was absolutely floored when I heard this. That was a few years back and I now spend the first hours after being hired to educate them so they won't act so carelessly. Once I explained what they were actually doing, they were shocked, too.

Adwords Search & Click 

Drives Up Adwords Costs

Brings Down Adwords Quality Score

Scrambles Ad/Keyword Relevancy

These the most immediate negative actions someone brings on their Adwords by searching and clicking on their own ads. Just don't do it! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have automotive dealerships and personal injury lawyers as clients, and you guys hit it on the head.

@j clemons this used to drive me nuts! I don't know why some clients want to search and click their own ads, even after explaining to them that this is a PPC platform. Right off the bat I either filter out their IP addresses (for less active clients) or explain to them why they shouldn't do this and show them how to use the Ad preview and Diagnosis tool, then were set!

Aside from Automotive and Legal, I also manage a few local doctors that have a very limited understanding. Problem is they don't really care to learn either. They figure as long as new clients are coming in its working.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@PAMG, oh yes, those doctors do love to search and click, too.

Adding the IP Filter is a great solution for keeping the analytics reports straight.

Have a great day and be Google great! Robot Happy

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
This one is not really an industry but a personality type:

Micro managers, geez sometimes I want to put my head through a plate glass window about questions like "The ROAS is down 1% Why?" or the multiple requests for adwords platform presentation by the same person in a three month period. Smiley Happy or "You generated $550,000 in sales but we only made $500" (I call bs on that one) lol

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni
Tell them if they click their own websites too often they will go blind...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I think the gym and fitness industry partially Google's fault, they've done a lot to completely hedge out that industry from their advertising platforms; between not allowing before and after photos (the bread and butter of the fitness industry since you can't sell without being able to show results) and the badly, badly broken pharma policy automation, it is just not worth it for most fitness businesses to advertise with Google. Now if they could get like one person with even a basic knowledge off the fitness and supplement industry to revamp their policies so Google was actually viable for the fitness industry, then they would be looking at hundreds of millions in new advertising revenue.

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager

@Mike Blackmore, can you add your expertise in the automotive industry here? I'd love to get your perspective.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 9
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Tony,

Great topic and one that I have a tonne of experience with. To add to your GM/Dealer Principal searching keywords that they believe customers are searching for and not showing up in the right spot or their ad extensions were not shown for that particular ad I would say was one of my most frustrating parts when it comes to dealing with the Auto guys.

I started off with IP exclusion and explained to them the ramifications of them constantly searching and clicking on their own ads from a cost & performance perspective. We added a shortcut on their desktop that allowed them to use the "Ad Preview Tool" with them signed in with "read-only access". This solved 2 things;
1.) We eliminated a bunch of wasted clicks and were able to free that money up for high-performing campaigns.
2.) Our metrics were not clouded by their sales staff clicking on their ads and bouncing or not converting. We split up their Google Analytics views into 2 views (1 - for no dealer traffic, 2 - Dealer Traffic). By doing this we were able to see just how much was being swallowed up by in-house clicks.

I would add that every time these car guys go to a conference or a digital dealer show that they come back with all these world-changing ideas with Adwords but some are not even available in our country yet. Most of the dealerships I work with are stuck in the print/radio world and think that PPC works the same way, as there are many similarities when it comes to writing catchy headlines etc, for the most part, it is a completely different result. We set up semi-monthly face-to-face meetings where we can shine with our expertise right in front of them and answer most of the difficult questions, or qualm any industry conspiracies. Remain confident and consistent and don't be afraid to put these guys in their place once in awhile professionally, they generally do not like "Yes-Mam's".

Honourable mention for me goes to: Real Estate

Mike Blackmore - 1 Click Away From a Conversion

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
This is a great post! Thanks for sharing. I normally do IP exclusions for clients as well. Not for dealerships anymore. Auto is still stuck in the early 1990s when print and radio were the way to reach customers.

The face to face meetings seems like a solution to this problem. We do that as well with our largest dealerships. But some dealerships are too far to travel to each month.