AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
3K members online now
3K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

12-Year-Old Boy Accidentally Runs up $110,000 Google Bill

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Happy Tuesday Y'all.  I saw this on the news.  I think we've all been there; the fear of a rampant spending account.  Smiley Happy   Google was nice enough to forgive (I'm not sure how he spent $112,000 without being billed once; Google bills me when I hit $500).  

"A 12-year-old in Spain reportedly made an expensive mistake, racking up a $112,000 bill when he apparently confused Google's AdWords and AdSense platforms while trying to promote his band."

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/12-year-old-boy-accidentally-runs-110-000-google-bill-n663761

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tony_Guo,

I was reading this earlier this morning and thought the same things... really cool of Google to forgive it, but how in the world did the 12-year old get that amount so high?

Did he set up monthly billing and he had perfect credit? lol

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I believe it was all based on Youtube ads and trueview etc.  ( So there must have been a glitch in the billing cycle) because us mere professional mortals would never be able to run up that high a bill without our CC's being hit)

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Haha...  He couldn't tell it was adwords from ad sense, but knew how to set up monthly billing.  Smiley Happy 

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

That's the surprising part.  And sort of scary.  He was able to run the bill up that high without it triggering a warning from Google.  I assume he used his parent's credit card and the limit on the card wasn't $110,000.  Lots of red flags not being triggered, when I'd expect them to be. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

i have no idea how someone can spend all that and secondly i wonder if there are any other cases like these where a person accidentally spent some money that they were not meant to

regards

zaby