Partners
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

12-Year-Old Boy Accidentally Runs up $110,000 Google Bill

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Happy Tuesday Y'all.  I saw this on the news.  I think we've all been there; the fear of a rampant spending account.  Smiley Happy   Google was nice enough to forgive (I'm not sure how he spent $112,000 without being billed once; Google bills me when I hit $500).  

"A 12-year-old in Spain reportedly made an expensive mistake, racking up a $112,000 bill when he apparently confused Google's AdWords and AdSense platforms while trying to promote his band."

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/12-year-old-boy-accidentally-runs-110-000-google-bill-n663761

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tony_Guo,

I was reading this earlier this morning and thought the same things... really cool of Google to forgive it, but how in the world did the 12-year old get that amount so high?

Did he set up monthly billing and he had perfect credit? lol

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I believe it was all based on Youtube ads and trueview etc.  ( So there must have been a glitch in the billing cycle) because us mere professional mortals would never be able to run up that high a bill without our CC's being hit)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Haha...  He couldn't tell it was adwords from ad sense, but knew how to set up monthly billing.  Smiley Happy 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

That's the surprising part.  And sort of scary.  He was able to run the bill up that high without it triggering a warning from Google.  I assume he used his parent's credit card and the limit on the card wasn't $110,000.  Lots of red flags not being triggered, when I'd expect them to be. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

i have no idea how someone can spend all that and secondly i wonder if there are any other cases like these where a person accidentally spent some money that they were not meant to

regards

zaby