Ask questions and get support with your AdWords Express campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

Location extensions are not working

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
My location extension is not working for the MOBILE local search. It shows my GMB ad but without the little green box. My location extension is working on Google Maps (little purple box) using a desktop computer.

When I use the Ad Preview and Diagnosis Tool with the mobile device (iphone) selected the following messages are displayed
 - Yes, your ad is showing for the keyword "DETAILING"
Your Location extension didn't show even though it was eligible to

Any clues why it is not eligible?
1 Expert replyverified_user

My Adwords Location Extensions for nearby businesses on Mobile is not displaying (no green box)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
On mobile when users search for nearby businesses my location is not featured (no green box) at the top of the local results. There are 3 local businesses with one displaying the adwords location extension green box. I thought they allowed 2 be displayed with the adwords location extension green box.

On Google Maps.. my adwords location extension is displaying (purple box) so that works good.

I have synced adwords and GMB

My regular adwords work good and they are always at the top so there is no issue with those.

Please look at the photo for additional information.

Any clues why my location extensions are not displaying on nearby businesses on mobile? What am I doing wrong? What have I missed setting up?targeted locations.PNG
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Karen,

As long as you have them added and they are active, that is great. They will not show all of the time, no matter what you do. Google will determine which extension is best for the purpose at hand. With location extensions, a user needs to search for terms that include location or near me or a physical address to gain the best chance of them showing. AdWords will also sometimes only use one extension and if another is better suited, it will win out over the location extension. 

What you want to do is make as many extensions as possible available to AdWords, and then let them decide which ones to use. The system is brilliant at working for you. 

Kind Regards,

James

Re: Location extensions are not working

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

NOT SOLVED. 

1  I only have location extensions running. Running numerous extensions reduces the changes of my location extension showing. Please read below:

• There’s a limit to the number of extensions each of the lower positions may receive, and in general, you won’t be able to get more prominence from ad extensions than you would from moving up an ad position. For example, let’s say your ad is currently in position two. Imagine that moving up to position one would give you 30% more prominence, but adding a second extension to your ad would give you 40% more prominence. If that’s the case, you wouldn’t be eligible for the second extension and would need to raise your bid or quality (or both) to move up to position one in order to get more clicks. Keep in mind that this limit doesn’t apply to the top ad above search results since there’s no prominence to gain from a higher position. 
  • Some extensions only show in ads above search results."

2. When I search in Google with my iphone I set the location to my location. My competitors location extension comes up and mine does not. We are using the same keywords. On Google maps both of our location extension work.

3. The Adwords Preview and Diagnosis indicates that my location is eligible but is not showing and there is a reason why which I dont know. What is the reason?

4. If the location extension is working on maps which it is then it should work on local search which it isnt. Why?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Still not solved.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Karen,

I do know all of that, thanks. And I understand your frustration and determination to make the system do as you want... but you can't. There are times when your location is not going to show.

Further, you will never be able to identically mimic another advertiser, no matter what you do. History, budget, settings, ad copy, keywords, website landing page... and more all play a part and no two accounts are twins. There are times yours will do things, like show location extensions when theirs does not, and there are times when they will and you do not. 

Sorry, that is the way it is.

Kind Regards,

James

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

It is not uncommon for only one ad to have a location extension on mobile devices. It is also not uncommon for only one ad to show sitelink extensions on mobile devices. It is far more common for multiple ads to show call extensions (call button) for mobile devices.

One of the reasons is that there is just less real estate for mobile SERPs, and location/sitelink extensions take up more room than the call button. In addition, if Google knows that phone calls directly from the SERPs happen with more frequency than clicks through to a maps listing, or a sitelink page, then Google is going to favor the most effective extension for both the end user and the advertiser.

On the other hand, if you are specifically searching Google maps, location extensions would seem to be the most relevant extensions to show, as users are currently looking for a physical location.

When you segment the campaign by click type, which extension has the highest CTR and click volume? If location extensions are not the most effective and desirable extensions, Google is going to show them less frequently. If location extensions are the only extensions of value to you - Then delete any other extensions, and make sure you are always in the #1 position. That still will not guarantee that your location will always show, but then you will be giving yourself the best chance of showing that extension.

All of your extensions may be "eligible", but if only one extension, of one type is allowed in the ad position you rank for, then that's the only extension that will show with that particular ad impression. Just as ads may be "eligible" to accrue an impression, but if your adrank is not high enough for that impression instance, no ad will show.

Tom

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Tom,

Thank you for the well thought out answer. I appreciate it. I have called Google Adwords support which transfers to India and they guarantee that my location extensions will be showing within 24 hours. That was 5 days ago and they are not showing. We wont go there.

I noticed that if I am not signed into Google on my iphoine my competitors location extension will display. If I sign into my Google account my competitors location extension will not display.

I only have one location extension activated and my bid amount is very high. When my competitor turns off their adwords my local search location extension still does not show. My google maps location extension always shows.

I may have the locations extension setup wrong

I have some questions regarding edit campaign location extension:

Show my ad with (there are 3 choices):

o All locations <--- I have that checked

o Locations matching filter <--- This selection has a filter that allows 3 choices - Business name or Category or Label. What is the purpose of each choice and how are they used?

o Locations I pick <--- If I select this it uses my address. Should I use this one?

I have some questions regarding advance search in locations. There are 4 choices

Seach | Radius targeting | Location groups | Bulk locations

I selected Location groups. Then I selected choose location group type. Then I selected my locations (targets ad to a radius around your location feeds address). The box then changes to GOOGLE MY BUSINESS LOCATIONS. It allows me to set up a radius around each location. I set it up for 10 miles. There is an OPTION to add my zip code also where is it says "My locations within [ZIP CODE]. Should I ad my zip code?

Did I set it up right to show my location extension?

Thank You

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

"I noticed that if I am not signed into Google on my iphone my competitors location extension will display. If I sign into my Google account my competitors location extension will not display."

Generally speaking you can't really "trust" any kind of personalized results as an impartial test. Google may show one set of results based on your personal data, then a different set of results if there is no personalized data available. That may be another clue as to what happens, when, why - But isn't in and of itself the whole story...

"I only have one location extension activated and my bid amount is very high. When my competitor turns off their adwords my local search location extension still does not show. My google maps location extension always shows."

You really do have to use all the information at your disposal to get any kind of real answers. Beyond searching or previewing you have to look at the data. Segment your campaigns by click type, check your ad extensions tab data, and see what kind of impression volume you are getting for your location extensions. If you are accruing impressions your extensions are showing, even if for whatever reason you are not seeing them regularly.

"I have some questions regarding edit campaign location extension... What is the purpose of each choice and how are they used?"

These options really only apply if you have more than one location. Ex: If you have three locations, and a campaign(s) for each location, then you can choose the correct location for each campaign. If you only have one location, then you don't need to setup any filters.

"I have some questions regarding advance search in locations."

Location targeting doesn't have any effect on location extension setup. Technically, the closer your targeting is to your physical location, the more likely you will be to accrue a higher volume of location extension impressions. Try to keep in mind that location targeting, and the signals Google has to identify location aren't perfect. Here's an example of the location targeting I use for the brand campaign of a local auto repair client of ours, with only one location in SE Portland:

Brand Target Locations.jpg

Realistically, their service area is likely only about a 5 mile radius of the shop (their shuttle service area). However, because this is a brand campaign and location targeting isn't perfect, I have a radius of up to 30 miles from the location. If a potential customer breaks down somewhere within towing distance and doesn't have the phone number on hand, I don't want to take any chances that a competitor ends up in that top position and crowds out the organic listing on their mobile device. Furthermore, over the last 30 days, the 30 mile radius location has generated the second highest impression volume for any location. If/when Google can't identify the location of someone standing right outside the building, then maybe they can identify the location as likely being within 30 miles of that location. Smiley Happy

That may have been a bit off topic, but is just an example of how complicated location signals can be, and that does have an effect on whether or not you see a location extension.

How do your extension impression break down at the account level, when you segment by click type? How many total location extension impressions - Regardless of type - Are you accruing as a % of total impressions? What about your other extensions (if any), and what is the % of each type of location extension impression of the total impressions?

Tom

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you again Tom for your EXPERT ANSWER. I really appreciate it. I have 2 more questions for you Tom.

1. I am using regular Adwords. I read that Adwords Express can be setup without a business having a website. It can be linked to GMB and therefore it may display the location extension in the local search pack on a more frequent basis. What do you know about this?

2. My business is a service business. Is there a priority for displaying the location extensions for store fronts over service businesses in the local search pack?

Thank you in advance for your expert help.