AdWords Express
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Ask questions and get support with your AdWords Express campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

Infinity Sign: What is it used for in adwords???

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was pulling up comparison information on all of my campaigns and was comparing data from January and February. I have a column for "Phone Calls" and it gives me subcolumns for data for Feb, then Jan, then I have a subcolumn for "change", then a subcolumn for "change %". Well, under Feb data it has "1" for the phone calls and for Jan it has "0" for phone calls. Under the "change" column it has "1" and under the "change %" column it has an infinity sign. Can someone please tell me what that is all about. I called customer service and they had no clue. HELP

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

That's Google trying to deal with the fact that you can't really divide by zero.

%change == (Feb - Jan) / Jan

(1 - 0)/0 = 1/0 = impossible

Most spreadsheets give you "error" dividing by zero, Google displays​ it as "infinity​ percent​." Any inrease from zero is going to be infinity percent.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

That's Google trying to deal with the fact that you can't really divide by zero.

%change == (Feb - Jan) / Jan

(1 - 0)/0 = 1/0 = impossible

Most spreadsheets give you "error" dividing by zero, Google displays​ it as "infinity​ percent​." Any inrease from zero is going to be infinity percent.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hmmmm, wouldn't going from zero to 1 be 100%??? I am trying to pull logic out of this... ???

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

No. 100% of zero is zero, so a 100% increase from zero is still zero.

You're trying too​ hard. "Infinity percent" doesn't mean anything except "it's not zero anymore." It's not really a number you can do any math with.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Dana,

Michael is correct.

Google AdWords & Google Analytics uses the infinity symbol whenever your comparison metric is a zero sum. It simply means you are doing infinitely better than before. 

Kind Regards,

James