AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

AdWords Express
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Ask questions and get support with your AdWords Express campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

Infinity Sign: What is it used for in adwords???

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was pulling up comparison information on all of my campaigns and was comparing data from January and February. I have a column for "Phone Calls" and it gives me subcolumns for data for Feb, then Jan, then I have a subcolumn for "change", then a subcolumn for "change %". Well, under Feb data it has "1" for the phone calls and for Jan it has "0" for phone calls. Under the "change" column it has "1" and under the "change %" column it has an infinity sign. Can someone please tell me what that is all about. I called customer service and they had no clue. HELP

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

That's Google trying to deal with the fact that you can't really divide by zero.

%change == (Feb - Jan) / Jan

(1 - 0)/0 = 1/0 = impossible

Most spreadsheets give you "error" dividing by zero, Google displays​ it as "infinity​ percent​." Any inrease from zero is going to be infinity percent.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

That's Google trying to deal with the fact that you can't really divide by zero.

%change == (Feb - Jan) / Jan

(1 - 0)/0 = 1/0 = impossible

Most spreadsheets give you "error" dividing by zero, Google displays​ it as "infinity​ percent​." Any inrease from zero is going to be infinity percent.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hmmmm, wouldn't going from zero to 1 be 100%??? I am trying to pull logic out of this... ???

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

No. 100% of zero is zero, so a 100% increase from zero is still zero.

You're trying too​ hard. "Infinity percent" doesn't mean anything except "it's not zero anymore." It's not really a number you can do any math with.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Dana,

Michael is correct.

Google AdWords & Google Analytics uses the infinity symbol whenever your comparison metric is a zero sum. It simply means you are doing infinitely better than before. 

Kind Regards,

James