AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

AdWords Express
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Ask questions and get support with your AdWords Express campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

Getting clicks on my ad from another country. How do I fix this? My locations is 20 radius.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My adwords express is set for a 20 mile radius from my office in California. My analytic shows I had 18 sessions (clicks?), 17 which are from the UK! Does this mean my ad is showing up in UK? If so, how do I exclude? Just want local business. And make sure I am not getting charged.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Getting clicks on my ad from another country. How do I fix this? My locations is 20 radius.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

On your Campaign's "Settings" tab, check under "Location Options".  It should be said to "People in my targeted location". 

Some campaigns, e.g. real estate benefit from being set to "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location".

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Those sessions are all for the google/cpc source correct?

Tom

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @James R,

AdWords Express works a little differently from AdWords with regards to targeting. So the first thing is to understand geographic targeting with AdWords Express. 

AdWords Express uses the following methods to determine the geographic locations where your ads can appear:

• Targeted locations: Your ads can appear for people who are located within the geographic area that you've chosen to target.
  • Names of locations in searches: Some of your potential customers aren't located within your targeted area, but they might include words related to your location in their searches, such as postal codes or the names of nearby cities. If they show interest in businesses like yours in your geographic area, we may show your ads to these customers who are outside of your targeted area.

Since you stated that you are using a 20 mile radius from your office, did you only use your business location tied to your G+ business page, or did you enter your city name with California? If the latter, you should only include your city (not California) since there can be a massive amount of searches being preformed from around the world using California. If you list the city and state, either can trigger your ad - separately or combined. 

To edit your location:

1. Sign into your AdWords Express account.
  2. Click the three paper stack menu at the top.
  3. Make sure the business you're looking for appears at the top of the "My business" drop-down menu. If not, click the name of the business, and then tap the three paper stack menu again at the top.
  4. Click an ad, and then click Dashboard.
  5. Scroll the page down. Under "Your ad settings," click Edit in the "Locations" card.
  6. Edit as needed.
  7. Click Save.

The thing about searches from outside your area... they can be really good leads for you. Sometimes someone may have traveled to the U.K. or live in both California & the U.K. or have family in your city... and they are locating products or services they need in your city. In these cases, you could greatly benefit from your ad being served. 

I hope this info helps further. Please let us know how things go.

Kind Regards,

James

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks James I did not know that!  Something important to be aware of w/AdWords Express. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Steve B,

Very welcome, my friend.

AdWords Express has some oddities that us AdWords professionals get shocked by all the time. 

Hope you have a great weekend.

All the Best,

James