AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

AdWords Express
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Understanding your campaign results
Guide Me
star_border

Linking analytics to campaign yields new tracking ID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm attempting to manage a campaign on behalf of a client. I'm blocked on creating an ad (see the note below), so in the mean time I'm attempting to properly link analytics with the existing ad the client has already created. There's a step ahead of linking where I'm prompted to enter a goal -- after I do so, I'm given a tracking Id. This tracking Id is different from the existing analytics tracking Id even though the AdWords Express account and Analytics account are linked via the property settings in Analytics.

Even more puzzling, the new property and tracking ID is added to a completely different client's Analytics account.  I'm not sure what's going on at this point and between this and the issue I linked below, I've nearly wasted a full day futzing with this and being no better off than where I started.

I hope it ends up being user error, but this is starting to feel a bit more like misbehaving software, or at the very least, poorly thought-out/implemented UX.

Note: I'm already running into an issue linking My Business with AdWords Express that I posted about here (likely unrelated, but linking for more context).

1 Expert replyverified_user

Linking analytics to campaign yields new tracking ID

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Greg,

Since you have invested hours with no results, please contact AdWords Express/AdWords Support and they can access your account with you and walk you through it. Call 1-866-246-6453 Monday-Friday, 9:00 am to 8:00 pm (EST).

All the Best,

James