Small Business
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Just starting out? This is the place to ask your questions and share resources for new or aspiring business owners.
Guide Me
star_border

Starting an online e-commerce site for social enterprises

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I currently met a lot of social enterprises in my country and I would want to help them sell their products online and in other countries. Any tips on how I can do this with a very limited budget? 

What are your tips for bulk orders and looking for wholesale buyers in other countries and for individual orders by customers themselves in other countries?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jahra R,

Not really. Operating a successful eCommerce website requires a lot of time and money... and credibility are key. That is just on a local level.... and things only amp up and multiple rather fast where entering other countries and going international.

I wouldn't say that it can't be done, but I would say it can't really be done fast & easy... and be successful. I am speaking as a web developer (that builds eCommerce websites), Google AdWords Shopping certified professional with 25+ years as a business owner and developer. This Google Search can start you in your research. Your journey requires careful study, a solid business plan, money, time, tact, and an endless determination to be the best. For every person or product you bring in, the more complex things get. If you sell other people's stuff, what happens when they do not provide you with the product on time? How will you recover from a bad review from someone waiting more than three days for a product? Yes, people want eCommerce goods in three days from checkout... not 2 weeks. You will be competing with the everyone else online, and you will have to offer something more than them to truly succeed. And once you breach your local barriers, you have to comply with each country's requirements, which range from how you display your products, how you collect taxes, to how you provide shipping, and how you comply with many laws of all types.  

These Expert Articles here in the Google Small Business community can guide you well, too.

Again, what you ask is vary wide-ranging, which can only allow us to provide vary wide-ranging information. There is no absolute resource on what you wish to do. It is complex and comes with endless issues to overcome.

If we can answer a specific question, please let us know and we will surely try.

All the Best,

James 

Re: Starting an online e-commerce site for social enterprises

Google Small Business Advisor
# 3
Google Small Business Advisor

@Jahra R - It's all about positioning specific products in specific market segments. You're better off starting off small with a few products that you have a competitive advantage with, rather than trying to sell everything to everyone. An inexpensive way to get started with an e-commerce store is to run on WordPress with the WooCommerce plugin. If you have any follow up questions, ask them and I'll be sure to reply.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Very well said!