Small Business
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Just starting out? This is the place to ask your questions and share resources for new or aspiring business owners.
Guide Me
star_border

Small Business Apocalypse

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm opening an  Escape room that is set to launch on July 16th. We are virtually invisible and have tried just about everything with no avail. Here is a list of everything we've done and had issues with.

• Google Search- We don't come up when you search us directly even with city, state query additions or any keywords whatsoever
  • Google Maps- We have verified our location listing and add a missing place and we don't come up at all. Also, the same 7732 W. 78th St. address messes up and bring you to that address in Edina when it should be taking you to the Bloomington address. I've reported this to Google and nothing.
  • Google My Business-
    • We have a green check and are verified on our main page. However, on another forum thread I am in, Tim Capper states that I am not verified on my Google + account that is linked. When I follow the help links, I have done everything it suggests.
    • Also, it says that our business is permanently closed when I go to 'Manage location' and then list view and click on it. However, when I click the G+ or dashboard icon to go change this, the editable pages it loads, don't work. I have this exact same issue in another area that I will list in the next bullet
    • As the same problem above, when I try and change my phone number that is listed as my personal, but should be changed to my work, it loads an editable page (Google My Business >>> Info) and then it says the number is correct on that page. However, when I go to reload on G+, it still is wrong.
  • Google My Business Help Menus- I've been through every help menu. Some are wrong and the rest aren't relevant to these issues.
  • Google Community Forum-
  • Google Customer Service- I spent 10 min on the phone waiting to speak with a representative only to be told I need to go check out the Google My Business Support/Help Menus or the community forums.
  • Google Twitter @googlemybiz- I tweeted at Google and sent them a message and no response whatsoever.

I've been a loud and proud supporter of Google product and the company as a whole my entire life. I couldn't be more disappointed with their lack of service.

Where do I go from here? Can anyone help? Are there any free resources available? Paid professional help someone can recommend? I've spent about 40 hrs trying to work this out and am feeling pretty hopeless.

We are set to launch in two weeks, but will be in a tough situation if we try and launch and nobody can find us on Search or Maps.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Small Business Apocalypse

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Your site is a big part of your problem - I found http://jamie-owens-g7ge.squarespace.com/ indexed (is this yours) and duplicate content on http://www.enigmafortcollins.com/ - there seems to be a HUGE amount of competition organically.

Single page websites are notorious to rank - but you need to redirect http://jamie-owens-g7ge.squarespace.com/ to start, because it appears that Google considers this your 'official' page.

Your address 7732 W 78TH ST EDINA MN 55439 doesn't have a map marker and really needs to edited via Google Maps.

Personally, I recommend concentrating on paid search campaigns, manually updating mapmaker yourself, and getting your website in order. GMB issues sometimes takes several weeks to sort out - especially since technically you aren't eligible for a GMB listing until you are open for business. Concentrate on your other citations - Facebook, Yelp, Snapchat, etc.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The address above confuses me. The Square Space one. When I open it, it goes into or SS editor. Is that being given to the general public. Clearly that should not be the address. Its ours, but www.irlescape.com should be the correct address.

The duplicate content from Fort Collins was meant to be a starting point and edited for an FAQ. I can go edit that up.

How do I make this http://jamie-owens-g7ge.squarespace.com/ address, not the main starting point?

My address as of now comes up on the map. I went to claim it and accidentally created a new business page under another email. Should I delete the new page and re-claim it under my other email? Am I able to then merge my two Google My Business pages?

Paid search campaign through Google or a local marketing service? I am attempting to manually update it myself. We are established on our other citations. You mention until we are open for business...that raises a final concern, we are still listed as permanently closed when I go to manage location >>list view>>and click my location and scroll half way down the page.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Anthony U

And you still have not addressed the fact, that the business page is NOT verified !

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
The http://jamie-owens-g7ge.squarespace.com/ domain goes to your editor because you are logged in. The rest of us just see your site. You can find more help here from Squarespace: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206543697-Hiding-your-built-in-domain-from-search-...

And yes, a paid search campaign through Google would be one method of promotion.