Small Business
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Just starting out? This is the place to ask your questions and share resources for new or aspiring business owners.
Guide Me
star_border

Interested in getting my small business a charitable status

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am interested in expanding and diversifying my holistic therapy business and giving it a charitable status. I wish to create a haven where individuals both adults nd children can feel they safely sway from intrusion and can have the space and security of being surrounded helped and supported by peers and mentors who have either already gone through the experience or are still not quite healed themselves. 

I would like to gain as much advice and insight and perhaps even financial collaboration, with anyone who feels they can offer me advice through the minefield of corporate planning and permissions. 

I look forward to a response. with kind regards.

<Post title edited to improve searchability for members.>

Joanna G Goodman

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joanna G
October 2016

Re: vulnerable children and adults

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Joanna G,

It is commendable to want to grow a business, turn it into a non-profit, and then provide services to children (and adults in need). I think you have to break these thoughts up, prioritize and create a road map to your end goal(s). Let's take your first paragraph and break it down.

1) Expand & Diversify [A Business].

To do this, you need to look at your current business model, audit what it is doing right and wrong... and eliminate the wrongs and multiple the rights. You have to stop thinking of your business as your baby or special something (most do this) and you have to zero in on profitable actions and remind yourself daily that you are a business and need to make money with every product or service you offer. In essence, when you make more money, you can expand... and through expansion you can diversify products & services.

Tip: Go to your local colleges, business centers, incubators, chambers, etc.. and ask for advice. 

2.) Create a non-profit.

Running a non-profit is vastly different from running a small business. There is absolute requirements with records, structure, operations, legalities and serious ramifications, such as jail time, for breaking certain aspects. If you are not highly-organized, you need to bring on people that are to help. Actually, you will need to have a board of directors with specific duties & titles to effectively operate a non-profit that has credibility. Because there is so much fraud and ill-acting people in charity works... expect to have a spotlight on your every move and welcome it, too. Expect to have little to no help at times and bursts of help at other times. Simply having the heart, the idea, and the want is purely not enough to make this dream a reality.

Tip: Do a search online for "starting a non-profit" or "tips for running a non-profit" or "non-profit failures" or 

3.) Offering a safe place, peers groups & mentors.

This all leans back on #1 & #2. If you do not have the first two in place, you really can't build upon #3. You need to get really serious with your business and make it lean and efficient so that it has money to invest back into it... and give (pay it forward) through the charity works. You will need a facility with private meeting rooms for different tasks that are setup for specific purposes and people. Your business success will create a network to draw help from, since those people will know you and see you in their community.

What you are wanting to do is a community-based facility so you need to be involved in your community. Unfortunately, every community needs help, needs many charities doing their part with the state of society today. You need to think local and focus on all things local with something like this.

You need to meet with any and all community-based non-profits in your area and see what they are doing, what they offer and see what they think of your idea. Ask if there are any assistance programs to tap into local or state funds. Ask for advice from them since they are in your community and know your local issues. 

Offering safety, guidance, mentoring cannot happen without credibility. Credibility is key and without it, you are a stranger wanting to muck with someone's head or body. Please know I mean no disrespect but do want you to get my meaning or purpose of saying that. If you think local, quality and credible... you will have many challenges figured out. I say this as someone that has been giving to programs locally for many, many years. I believe my community is my responsibility to help it be the best it can and to help every person in it be the best they can. However, I do not have money to waste, so I don't. I vet each agency, I find those that are credible and doing something in alignment with my beliefs and with a visible result... and I give all I can, what I can, even until it hurts. Widows, children and vets are where I focus the most on, then physical disabilities and mental health.

Tip: If you read all of this carefully, you will find much to build upon and realize I have been around business and non-profits all my life and that I have given you more than what meets the eye, at first glance. I thank you for wanting to make the world a better place and know that if you are absolutely determined to do so... you will! 

Kind Regards,

James

Re: vulnerable children and adults

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello @Joanna G

I can offer advise about being recognized as a 501(c)3 organization by the IRS. There are many different code sections that you can qualify for that are not for profit, and do not pay income tax. However, a 501(c)(3) , is the most sought after because contributions by the public to one are tax deductible.

To become a 501(c)3, you first need to form a corporation in the state that you operate in. In the articles of incorporation, the document has to contain certain language that states what you will do with the assets upon dissolution, the fact that there is no stock, and the purpose of the 501(c)(3).

For the IRS, the organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, and no part of a section 501(c)(3) organization's net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. If the organization engages in an excess benefit transaction with a person having substantial influence over the organization, an excise tax may be imposed on the person and any organization managers agreeing to the transaction.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you.

Craig

Re: Interested in getting my small business a charitable status

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Could I ask why you edited my comment? Could you send back the original to me and explain why you chose to amend it without my permission ? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joanna G
September 2016

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi, @Joanna G. The title of your original post has been edited to something more descriptive of the question you have asked. In our Community Guidelines, we ask that when creating a new discussion, our members give their posts clear and concise titles that are relevant to the discussion or the question being asked. This way, it will be easier other members with similar questions to find this topic and benefit from the advice found within. Please understand that your original post has not been edited in any way, only the title  as per these guidelines. Thanks for your participation in the community!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear James,

I am sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I am incredibly grateful for your response. It is thorough and very helpful indeed. I agree with all that you have advised and have much to work from. Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this subject.

Kind regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi.

There is some kind of mix-up with Google and, Google thinks I am @Joanna G. I am getting notifications about post comments in my email that I did not make. @Joanna G., somehow we have to fix this.

Thanks

Joanna Gasdogas

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
How irritating! I'm not sure how? Almost certanly it is a problem that
Google should resolve ? If there is anything you feel I could help with,
please let me know?
Clearly this matter is an irritation to you and I may have not received
responses that I was expecting ?
Kind Regards

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi, @Joanna W - thanks for bringing this matter to our attention. Just wanted to give you and update and let you know we're looking into it. Sorry you're receiving these erroneous notifications!