Small Business
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Just starting out? This is the place to ask your questions and share resources for new or aspiring business owners.
Guide Me
star_border

I have to purchase a domain name for my business but I am not sure if it was penalised before?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello friends,

Thanks for reading my story.

Some time ago we registered our business and wanted to run it online. Unluckily we discovered that our business name was already taken as a domain!

We found the owners of this domain and we contacted them in person, they would sell it to us for some cash

but my question is how I ensure this domain was not penalised by Google before?

it would be painful to pay a decent amount of money just to discover that this domain has a penalty or something like that...

Excuse my ignorance I am somehow new to all this!

Thanks,

Melisa

2 Expert replyverified_user

I have to purchase a domain name for my business but I am not sure if it was penalised before?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Welcome to the community, @Melisa K! This is a great question for our Google Small Business Advisors, and I've made sure that they'll see your thread and come by to help out. I recommend that you also post your question to theGoogle Webmasters Central Help Forum, which is the best place to get the specific help you're looking for.

Thanks for being a part of our community!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Melisa K,

Thanks for visiting the Google Small Business community. Brielle is right that the Webmasters Central is going to be able to fill with great advice, so I will just add a few things you can do now, while you wait for a reply over there. 

1) Enter the full address into Google Search and look at EVERY listing. Example: www.en.advertisercommunity.com

Once you have done this, do another search and add scam and then another and add malware.

2) See if the domain has been sending spam mail. While that may not affect Google liking the domain (depending on severity of the spam), it can make it where your email will never be delivered through most providers. You can use this free service to check it... and you can enter into Google Search: domain name whitelisting to learn more.

3) Run the domain name through a Whois checker to learn more about the domain's history and who actually owns it.

4) Us the Wayback Machine to see what the domain name has been used for in the past.  

Well, these tips are easy to do and will help you right away know more about the domain.

Also, be cautious about handing over cash to strangers. They can take your cash and never transfer it to you. There should be an official online system being used, which would be through a clearing house or the actual registrar.  

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Melisa. To answer your question about how you can ensure that the domain wasn't penalized before, you can't definitively know unless the previous owner was transferring over their analytics and search console data to you. The Search Console data would be helpful because it could tell you if there was a manual penalty. 

A few things that you can do though would be to run the domain through a backlink analysis tool like Ahrefs, MajesticSEO, or Opensiteexplorer. Do the backlinks look spammy?

Additionally, you can run the domain through an organic keyword tracking tool like SEMRush. You can get an idea of what the organic traffic of the domain was like for specific period of time. Was there any significant drops?

Hopefully some of those ideas help you!

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

This is such an awesome post @James_Clemens! I shared this on the G+, and I think everyone else should too. I have learned more in the past 10 minutes about this topic than I ever knew! Definitely bookmark all the cited sources.

Tom

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thank you, @tomhalejr.

It's great to hear that my efforts to help someone... helped others, too. It's a win-win for all. 

All the Best,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

dear start with new domain name and put your business name inside the website 

google doesn't care about domain name