Small Business
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Just starting out? This is the place to ask your questions and share resources for new or aspiring business owners.
Guide Me
star_border

How To Optimize Images For Google Mobile Page Speed Test

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

If you are like many people you may be trying to optimize images for Google’s new Mobile test. It is likely that your site did not score “green” in all three areas of the test. Even if you scored highly in the mobile friendly section you may not have scored well in the Desktop Speed an/or the Mobile Speed portions of the test. If this is the case you are probably thinking about trying to improve your scores in these two areas.

Optimizing the images on your website is an easy way to really improve your scores on the page speed portions of the test. This is especially true if your website was built without much thought to things like the size of the image files used on the site. If you are in the process of building or designing a website then you are in a great position to do things right from the start. Of course to really optimize a site for speed will very likely take more than just optimizing the images on the site but it is an easy and effective way to begin.

Continue reading: How To Optimize Images For Google Mobile Page Speed Test

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How To Optimize Images For Google Mobile Page Speed Test

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Great article, @MikeJohnston! It's definitely important to take note of how long your business' website takes to load on a mobile device (or on any device, really) and reducing the file size of your images is a great way to give it an easy boost.

It also pays to be mindful of how many images you're including on your page. I've run across many sites that are needlessly inserting large images as backgrounds, or just feature excessive (and typically unnecessary) photos here and there that clog everything up.

Google Small Business Advisor
# 3
Google Small Business Advisor
@MikeJohnston - we use WP Smush and it works great... but like you mentioned, the free version has some limitations.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Useful for one who must use pictures to share property listings for our clients Seattle area rentals. Great share, thanks +MikeJohnston

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the information Mike. I recently updated my images, but just the height and width. I still need to go back and optimize them for speed. Your article looks like it will point me in the right direction!

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

It seems to me that optimizing images is the easiest thing a small business owner can do to make their website mobile-friendly. @Trevor_Stewart has some great points about optimizing images in his op-ed

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

i don't know if your are using word press just add image seo friendly  plugin 

regards

Hassan

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This can work or add a second layer of optimization but on the other hand the fewer plugins that you have on a Wordpress site the better as plugins can cause problems with loading speed and sometimes there are issues with plugins not getting along with your site theme or with other plugins.