1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Noticing spammy businesses in the area or wondering about our policies? Ask your questions here.
Guide Me
star_border

Yellow page Mobile has attached itself without permission on Google review page. I did not sign-up w

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I discovered that Yellow pages (mobile only) has without permission and without my knowledge attached-posted themselves onto my Google business page review section. In the review section are two reviews. "How do I remove  YP?" 

1. I do not have any relationship with them.

2. I do not want to advertise with them

When I looked into their website. When you contact them it is only one way communication. They only ALLOW you to contact them to advertise. 

When I looked at reviews and complaints, it seems anyone who has advertised with them has no ability to cancel. It should be against the law to hijack someone's business page without their consent.

1. Has Google partnered with YP. It makes no sense. No one wants to use YP.

2. Why hasn't Google alerted us of third party intrusion?

3. Is Google getting paid from YP for every customer they hi-jack?

Thanks, 

Mae, owner of menscutslakewood.com

2 Expert replyverified_user

Yellow page Mobile has attached itself without permission on Google review page. I did not sign-up w

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mae, 

I didn't see YP in your business listing anywhere, desktop or mobile. I'm guessing you saw it in the 'reviews around the web' section. Google uses that section to display other reviews for your business that it finds on various sites, one of the sites it can pull from in your industry is YP. It's all algorithmically generated, no one (Not Google or YP) spend or receive money in that exchange as far as I know. There was a lawsuit between Yelp and Google a few years ago in fact, over Google displaying Yelp reviews similarly, that's why you'll never see Yelp in the 'reviews around the web' section now. 

Are you still seeing YP anywhere in your listing? It's not likely you'll be able to get it removed if so, but I can ask. It's all just intended to give potential clients more info to pull from when making a buying decision, there's no capitalistic or nefarious intent behind it. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@James W
take a look at the reviews being pulled from the website
http://www.menscutslakewood.com/customer-reviews/

try going to page 2
try to create a review

Reviews from the web
5/5 Men's Cuts · 50 reviews
http://www.menscutslakewood.com/customer-reviews/

but it looks like only 10 actually exist and they are highly curated
new reviews cannot be left

please escalate this to google

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Richard - Google curates content on Google My Business profiles very heavily. Websites? Not so much. I'd rather give the business owner a chance to correct the issue. 

Mae - if you have a broken plugin, you should fix it. If I did escalate this as-is, you'd likely lose the review stars that appear under the review page of the website when it appears in the search results, and your own site reviews probably wouldn't be included in the 'reviews around the web' section anymore. Even aside from repercussions, it's always best when a site works as potential clients would expect. Anyone that noticed what Richard pointed out would likely be put off. Wordpress plugins can behave screwy all the time, I bet there's just a technical issue you've got going, but you should get it taken care of if you don't want Google to start discounting the review schema on your site. Once Google starts ignoring that information, it's hard to get it to trust the site again. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@James W
please follow up on this regardless

i also would appreciate it if you could run this by a couple of the industry applicable TCs

(as in TCs who are familiar with this sort of issue potentially and work for firms that deal with things like this and local search)

i almost feel like the plugin itself should be blacklisted by google

Re: Yellow page Mobile has attached itself without permission on Google review page. I did not sign-

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Wow. Thanks for explaining that googles agorithyms pull other website info.

No I do not see now. But anyone who owns a business would be startled in discovery.

And anyone who is not doing business with YP would be alarmed.

Thanks for getting me the necessary info.

Mae

Sent from my iPhone

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hit up Mike Blumenthal, he'd be the one to talk to. He's pretty heavily involved with get 5 stars, a review management system for small businesses. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

hi
@Mike Blumenthal
could you take a look at this thread?

seems like WP Customer Reviews

http://www.gowebsolutions.com/wp-customer-reviews

should be blacklisted by google

Highlighted

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

You can report suspicious rich snippets here: https://support.google.com/webmasters/contact/rich_snippets_spam

its something the web spam team deals with not the local team. 

Re: Yellow page Mobile has attached itself without permission on Google review page. I did not sign-

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank, I sent the snippets form in.

--
*Mae Williams*
Experts in the Topic
Mike Blumenthal
james w