My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Noticing spammy businesses in the area or wondering about our policies? Ask your questions here.
Guide Me
star_border

Page suspended for spammy behaviour.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. My website is www.fobcouver.ca we are a local key duplication service that makes duplicates of RFID tags. We are fully licensed by the city and conduct business at the listed address. Our clients include landlords, retailers and the largest short term property management companies in the city. 

I was flagged two days ago for spammy behaviour and cannot figure out why. 

I had signed up my Google plus page with my personal email <edited by a Community Manager as noted below> . But was managing analytics and AdWords with <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>. I was going back and forth because I didn't know you could manage a location with two users. Is this why I was blocked and how do I fix?

Could someone shed some light?

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Guidelines, in order to remove account specifics and/or personal contact information. This is done to protect account security and privacy.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Page suspended for spammy behaviour.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

For anyone else taking a look, this looks like the ghost GMB page:
https://plus.google.com/117443001812343749969/about
Nothing in map maker, and the address looks residential. 

Hi @Eric L

My guess is that you ran into spam trouble because you had your address listed publicly. Unless your business takes in walk-ins during stated business hours, you're required to have your business listed as a service area business. Instructions for that are here, basically you just say "I deliver goods and services to customers at their address' and leave unchecked 'I also serve customers at my location'. Even if they can see you at your location by appointment, you still need to have the address hidden. 

There's no problem with managing a location with more than one user, or with having the same email associated with your GMB account, your analytics, and your adwords (I'd even say that's the common best practice). If you wanted another account to have access, it's easy to add them as a manager to your GMB location, nothing wrong with that, and that's definitely not why you ran into trouble. 

Another minor thing I noticed... this likely isn't why you ran into spam trouble, but it's still important. One of the big signals Google looks at to decide how trustworthy the information it has on you is, is what other sites around the internet have to say. One of the big things they look at is name, address, and phone number. If for example you have an old phone number that you used to use, you changed the number, but Google still sees the old phone number listed for your business in hundreds of places around the internet, you can see why it wouldn't trust fully what it knows about your business then. You've got a second business it looks like, iphone unlocking, that uses the same address and phone number. I don't know what the legality issues are around an iphone unlocking business, but it's a small possibility that that connection is what got you in trouble (I don't think it is) but even if it's not, having that same address and phone number associated with another business can be a problem. 

If you'd like to know more about promoting a local business profile on Google, there's a great jumping in article here, though head's up, it's kind of a beast. 

What I would do, change your address to hidden, and then call up Google support here, or (sometimes works better) contact Google's support on twitter at @googlesmallbiz. Once your account gets hit for spam, it can be a little bit challenging and time consuming to get it reinstated again, but that's the road to get you back up and running again. Good luck!

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I made the location change. How would I go about the number change ? Can I delete those from the internet?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Not easily. NAP cleanup (what they call it when you've got different sites showing the wrong name, or phone number, or address) can be a mess, and while there are some tools to help with it (Yext, Whitespark, etc) if you want to be thorough you'll still end up having to do a fair bit by hand. It doesn't look like the iphone cracking business is spread that far though, I wouldn't have seen it at all likely if there was more out there about your fob business. I doubt it'll end up being a big deal for you, just don't continue promoting both businesses with the same address and phone number. Just try calling support or contacting @googlesmallbiz on twitter before you worry about going down any rabbit holes.

I do recommend though that you take an hour and clean it up on facebook and any other easy to hit place you see when you do a search for iphone + your old phone number. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I haven't done that iPhone business since I was a teenager hahah. I contacted support. But all they said was wait.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I contacted the Twitter page and support. I guess all I can do is wait for the appeal then?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Yeah, the twitter support is usually awesome, so you should hear back pretty early tomorrow hopefully. And yeah, funny how that old rule is so true... once you put something on the internet, it's there forever. A little bit of a problem with NAP stuff, but if you promote your new business a bit (get it on some of the major directories) that'll help give Google a little more confidence that you're on the up and up. Like I said earlier though, I think the location might have been the only issue, I couldn't see anything else that jumped out as being an issue (though it's very possible I missed something). 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'll add directories this weekend i guess. I contacted the google twitter but they were no help either. I filed an appeal during the weekend and still no reply... This is really starting to stress me out...

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Eric,

On your website it lists this: Located near the heart of Downtown Vancouver with a second location near Richmond. We have free parking

Can you clarify how that's possible if you were using a residential address? Also what's the second location you're referring to in Richmond?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In Vancouver, the residential areas are about 10-15 minutes from the heart of downtown. On my street there is free parking. I'm licensed by the city to use that address as my business address. My second location is in south Vancouver where my partner is.

I conduct my services at both locations as well as on site. As you can see in the pricing section we offer people to come to us. People really love coming to us too because they like to save money and keep their address hidden from us.