My Business
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Noticing spammy businesses in the area or wondering about our policies? Ask your questions here.
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Flagged Spam Photos Not Removed

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Our company is Soda Dispenser Depot, located in Belmont, NC, USA.

There is an Indian company ("White & Green Soda Shop") that has posted/tagged or otherwise associated their photos with our business in Google Search, Maps, etc.

Here is a link to our photos in Google Maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Soda+Dispenser+Depot/@35.2744875,-81.0419923,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!...

I flagged them once before, but they're still there—and I've gone through and flagged them, again. There is at least 5 fraudulent photos. We only have a few photos that we've uploaded ourselves.

I've looked through the Google My Business and Google+ pages to see if there was any action I could take—as well as reading some other threads on this forum from people with similar issues—looks like this is actually fairly common. It's troubling that literally anyone could just upload any photo and associate it with a business with no verification or oversight of any kind—and that the business owner who has claimed their listing cannot control these photos.

I would like to request that someone review the photos that I've flagged and remove them—we are not an Indian company and we don't want customers thinking we are not located and operating in the United States because someone across the globe decided to spam our business listing photos.

I've also included a screenshot which I marked up with red "X" marks and green check marks denoting which photos a spam and which are valid (not all of the photos are visible, however—but all of the spam ones are obvious, because they all have "White & Green Soda Shop" in them):Screen-Shot-2017-02-01-at-8.11.50-PM.jpg

Thank you for any assistance with this matter.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Deborah C

Just reported them "This photo is irrelevant to this business".

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Bryan H

As I mentioned in my post, I had flagged them all before (maybe a few months prior)—and I had gone through and flagged them all again before I posted this thread. Photos are still there. Doesn't seem like anyone is reviewing the photos, whether they're reported or not, otherwise they'd be gone by now.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Deborah C

I see what you mean, apparently Google didn't see those photos that aren't part of your business, a violation. Therefore didn't take action.

I think whom added those photos are the ones who can delete them, not Google. Unless the photos, have 

Spam
Copyright
Hate speech or violence
Nudity
Harassment or bullying

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Bryan H

Yeah, it's a bit frustrating that anyone can tag any photo with anything they want and business owners can't manage what photos they're tagged with and how they show up in search. Even more frustrating that "flagging" the photos multiple times hasn't resulted in any action.

Posted here in hopes that someone could provide some assistance in getting the photos removed. I've seen other threads where folks that seem to work with or for Google have gotten involved in these conversations, so I was hoping someone from Google would see this.

As someone who might frequent these forums, do you have any suggestions how I might better our chances of getting this post reviewed by someone who can do something about it?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hmm.. I posted a reply, but looks like it didn't take.

Anyways, basically I said that Google can definitely remove the photos—no question about that. Also, it makes perfect sense that the person who uploaded it could also remove them, but seeing that they put them there to begin with, I don't see any incentive for them to remove their own spam.

I've seen a couple other folks (@PriyaC and @Mike Blumenthal) who seem to be able to get things moving in some other threads I've seen relating to this. Here's hoping they see this!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Deborah C
March

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Once you flagged the inappropriate photos and waited the obligatory 2 weeks, you need to contact support. If after you have contacted support they still don't take them down, then we can escalate 

To get in touch with Google My Business Support ou need to:
1- log into your Google my business dashboard http://www.google.com/mybusiness
2- select support from upper left hamburger menu
3- a help screen will appear to the right
4- It used to be just a scroll down to contact us under Contact Us
5- Scroll down and select Need More Help
6- Select the specific problem - in your case Verification
7- Select I requested a postcard more than 14 days ago
8- Scroll to the bottom of the page and choose most appropriate contact method for you (some are not always available)

Alternatively and perhaps preferably you can try contacting support via social:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/googlemybusiness
Twitter https://twitter.com/GoogleMyBiz

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Mike Blumenthal

Thanks for responding! I've been trying to get these photos removed for months, now. I followed your instructions—though I didn't see "Nee More Help"—I used the Contact Us > Email and followed those instructions. I chose the issue "Photos, reviews, etc.", since that seemed more specific than "Verification" (also, I'm not really sure what I'm verifying). I also included a link to this thread, since it includes a screenshot of some of the photos.

So, hopefully that will work. I'll post back here again once I get a reply whether it's resolved or not.

Thanks again!

(P.S. Can you clarify: Can literally anyone upload/tag a photo with any business—where the business can not manage/remove those photos themselves? If so, I'm surprised this issue isn't encountered more often. Also, is there any way to prevent the same person/people from uploading spam photos again? Otherwise, they might just upload them again as soon as they're removed. Thanks for your time and assistance!)

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Any one can upload photos. But few can keep the bad ones sticking. Usually they come down upon reporting. Your nemesis seems more able. 

Let me know if you are not successful. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Honestly, I don't think it's a matter of the photos being re-uploaded after being flagged and taken down. I think they've never been taken down because—if they are being reviewed after flagging—the spam photos are photos of Soda Fountains. Since we're a company that sells soda fountains, they might be initially seen as relevant photos or otherwise not spam.

However, it doesn't take much to see that the spam photos show machines which bear the spammer's company name, as well as photos of the physical location of their business in India.

So, it's completely possible that whomever is doing the reviewing is doing it so fast that they're not actually being very critical—and there could certainly be other reasonable explanations for why they haven't been removed. Just a little frustrated that multiple flaggings over several months had no result and thus we find ourselves here. We'll just have to wait and see what support says when they return our email.

Thanks again for your help, Mike!