5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Noticing spammy businesses in the area or wondering about our policies? Ask your questions here.
Guide Me
star_border

Ex-Employee who was fired left a dishonest/negative review. What steps can I take?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all, 

We got rid of an employee months ago because she no-showed on her shift three times. We thought we left on good terms and it was obvious she wouldn't work out in the position. Now she left us a bad review with very untrue stuff that puts the managing team in a bad light. Link to the review: https://goo.gl/maps/8iFfNb7CX6N2 . We have obviously reported it months ago when she didn't have a response but now that she has responded we'd like to get this escalated. Any chance anyone can help with what steps we can take??

Thanks,

Andrew

1 Expert replyverified_user

Ex-Employee who was fired left a dishonest/negative review. What steps can I take?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Andrew,

I'll go ahead and ask Google about it and let you know when I hear back.  We're extremely backlogged right now so it might be a couple weeks before I get a response.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Andrew,

So unfortunately Google responded and apparently ex-employees are allowed to leave reviews.  I think this is stupid but this isn't the first time I've received this response so I'm afraid there isn't anything that can be done currently about this.  

Apparently reviews from existing employees are against their terms and can be removed but not ones from former employees.

Please don't shoot the messenger :)

Owner of Sterling Sky
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Motown T
3w

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Andrew,

Great news - Google recently updated the review guidelines and reviews from ex-employees are no longer allowed. I'm going to resubmit these and will let you know when I hear back. 

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot Joy! Hope your holidays went well!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's interesting Joy. Was that a recent change? Is there anything they have publicly available (as reference) on this?

Re: Ex-Employee who was fired left a dishonest/negative review. What steps can I take?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Camilo T - yep, it happened on Dec 14.  They rarely make announcements about policy changes but I outlined everything that changed in this article: https://www.sterlingsky.ca/google-makes-14-changes-review-guidelines/

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have just had a 1 star rating from an ex-employee.  I flagged this and was asked to provide evidence.  This I did in the form of the dismissal letter.  Google have refused to remove this rating.

We had a second 1 star review from a competitor.  There are 3 takeaways in my town.  Two this man has rated as 1, while the other is rated as 5.  These are his only 3 reviews, and all on the same day. Again, google has refused to take any action, even although these reviews are completely out of character.

Instead, I was offered a link to put on my website encouraging people to leave more reviews!  This type of stance makes a complete mockery of the whole site and the 'review' culture we have.  An absolute disgrace.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google has recently changed their policies with regards to ex-employees reviews (They are conflict of interest and can be flagged and taken down). Flag the review again and contact Google support to assist you: https://support.google.com/business/contactflow?hl=en&rd=3&visit_id=1-636511188334663341-1775437703#...

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hey guys,

This thread is related to Motown's listing so please create a new thread if you have a different example to report and someone can assist.

Owner of Sterling Sky