2.3K members online now
Make sure you're set up and ready to run your first campaign
Guide Me
star_border

keyword planner

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do I create my first campaign for the sake of using keyword planner without actually creating an ad?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
March 2017

keyword planner

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Angela J,

Though you can create a dummy campaign for now with minimum possible budget which you can pause or removed later after completing the account setup but to get the fruitfulness of the Keyword planner tool, you need the have an active campaign in the AdWords account with the minimum threshold amount(not disclosed by Google).

Otherwise, No active campaigns or campaigns with lower monthly spend will show a limited data view in the Keyword Planner.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

KEYWORD RESEARCH

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm with 'Visitor' on this one. You guys aren't really answering the question. 
I am having the same issue. I go to Keyword Planner, it asks to log in, I do (because I have a google account - do I need another one?) and then it asks me to set a budget, enter a url, add keywords etc to basically set up an ad when all I want to do is use it to search for keywords. Can you offer a bit more detail pretty please? Thanks

Keyword research

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

And then what? It takes to me to a page where it wants me to set a budget and add a url etc like I'm setting up an ad. All I want to do is use it for keyword research. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
March 2017

keyword planner

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Angela J,

Though you can create a dummy campaign for now with minimum possible budget which you can pause or removed later after completing the account setup but to get the fruitfulness of the Keyword planner tool, you need the have an active campaign in the AdWords account with the minimum threshold amount(not disclosed by Google).

Otherwise, No active campaigns or campaigns with lower monthly spend will show a limited data view in the Keyword Planner.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

keyword planner

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Angela,

Archit has provided the correct reply to your help inquiry. There is no special secret that lets someone use the Google Keyword Planner outside of the requirements by Google AdWords. 

If you do not wish to set up a AdWords Campaign (not AdWords Express), enter billing, etc.. then you cannot access it. There is no getting around this. 

All of these resources will help you greatly. They are free and do not require an AdWords account (like Keyword Planner). They are fun, fresh and easy to use, too.

Google Trends

Google Marketing

Think with Google

Google Data Gallery

AdWords Marketing Goals

AdWords Resource Department

Think with Google

Consumer Barometer

Google My Business

Google GYBO

These will all provide you with concise & credible research and marketing material. Each link has many others, so review the menu of each website.

Kind Regards,

James

keyword planner

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

H,

Where do I access Keyword Planner? I want to research keywords and costs associated with them. How do I do that?

Thank you,

Luben

keyword planner

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello James,

I have the same issue as Angela. It turns out that I have to go through the steps, enter URL, enter budget and then I am allowed to research the keywords. How can I set up a budget without knowing the cost for keywords?! It does not make sense. Please explain.

keyword planner

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Gourmet F,

You have to have a AdWords account, not an AdWords Express or just an Google account) to access the AdWords Keyword Planner tool. When you open your AdWords account, look in the upper menu under Tools and you will see it there, along with other tools used to operate AdWords. If you do not have an Adwords account, you cannot use (nor do you need) the AdWords KeyWord Planner tool.

You do not need to research every keyword to create and start a campaign. You need one ad group, one keyword and one ad... and your account is running. You can set your daily budget to $1 US and then you can begin the process of building your complete campaign. Please note that you will only see limited data, or general estimated numbers, since the AdWords Keyword Planner tool is designed to work from your budget and campaign history.  

If you merely want to do general research, these are fun, fresh and easy to use. No Adwords account required. 

These will all provide you with concise & credible research and marketing material. Each link has many others, so review the menu of each website.

Kind Regards,

James