Small Business
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Your business is up and running, you're looking for information and guidance to help you become more savvy and efficient. This is the place for you.
Guide Me
star_border

What question do you ask before giving prospect a proposal?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When you go to a meeting with a prospect, what questions do you ask, so you can give them proposal base on those questions?

Let say in this example the prospect own a cupcake factory, they call you and they want you to do their marketing on a search engine. What you ask them so later you don't keep calling them for more information to create a proposal?

Thanks everyone

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Re: What question do you ask before giving prospect a proposal?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

This is a great question, @Vilvas. I know that many of our Small Business Advisors regularly work with clients who own and operate small businesses; I'm sure that they'll be able to provide some great input from their own experiences. I'll definitely ensure that they stop by and share their advice!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much. Will wait patiently. Smiley Happy

Google Small Business Advisor
# 4
Google Small Business Advisor

Hey there!
My aim is to quickly move from email to either a voice call or to Hangout/Skype.
Having 20 mins in that environment you can work together to set outcomes for the project, and look at whether the prices that you give are within the expectation of the prospect to whom you are talking.
Personally I despise proposals as I know so often people don't even read the detail, just look at the headlines and the price.
I've made a load of mistakes along the way, learned a lot, and would say I would rather build a relationship and look at helping that person do their job better than be pitching something 'off the peg'.
Good luck with your next steps! Martin

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Vilvas, 

You need, of course, to nail down the basic details about their business model, location, budget, competition, time-frames and expectations.  Beyond this, I ask:

Who are you trying to reach?

How, overall, do you plan to create awareness of your offering? 

What is your unique value proposition? (Why would a customer choose you instead of your competition?) 

How does your offer solve an active need for your target audience? 

What fears or objections must you overcome to make a sale?

When do you expect people to buy? (How will you overcome the "maybe later" response)

What will your customers tell their friends about you? 

What are your KPI's? (key performance indicator)

How will you judge my work? (as your marketing consultant)

Where are your warts? (i.e., where are your problem areas). 

These questions go beyond just creating the criteria for a proposal, they give you a sense if the client has foundation for success on their side.  Knowing the target audience, KPI's, and where problem areas hide are keys to getting things started with a positive, realistic marketing plan.