Small Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Your business is up and running, you're looking for information and guidance to help you become more savvy and efficient. This is the place for you.
Guide Me
star_border

The Power of Empathy in Business

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

The Power of Empathy in Business

Poor customer service and negative interactions could hurt your bottom line.

It starts within your company.

Empathy is crucial to customer and employee relationships. It allows you to create bonds of trust between your employees by giving insight to what they may be thinking or feeling. It will also help you motivate the people around you. A company culture that is rooted in understanding will translate into great customer service.

Listen with intention, without interruption.

From face-to-face conversations to observing your customers in your store, listening is crucial to understanding your customers’ pain points. The same applies to interactions with your employees to improve workplace relationships.

Check your body language and tone.

Smile and refer to the person in front of you (or on the other end of the phone) by name. Avoid appearing disinterested in their concerns by standing erect, facing them and keeping your arms at your side.

Express a sincere desire to help.

Your customer wants to be heard, and they need to know that you will do everything in your power to resolve the issue. Show empathy and commitment to action by using phrases such as:

• “I can understand why you would feel that way.”
  • “I’d be upset too if that happened to me.”
  • “I’m going to take care of this for you. What we are going to do is…”

Be open to suggestions.

From something as simple as a suggestion box in your store to asking the right questions to your customers during their shopping experience, being open-minded can make a world of difference. When dealing with a customer complaint, asking them for input could help you to exceed their expectations or negotiate a middle ground.

Originally published October, 2014

1 Expert replyverified_user