6.4K members online now
Your business is up and running, you're looking for information and guidance to help you become more savvy and efficient. This is the place for you.
Guide Me
favorite_border
Highlighted

Rating/Marking/Flagging Files

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Is there a way to rate/mark/flag files or documents to easily select certain files for cloud storage? I'm  looking for some way to segregate those actual documents in doc, pdf, xls file format for upload. 

My situation is this: I want a way to go through old, closed files, and upload only key documents to a file folder in the cloud named something clever like "old stuff". I would want a way to quickly identify and filter out the non-key documents before upload. My goal: use only a small portion of cloud storage for the old files, keeping only the key (may be handy down the road documents) in the cloud.

I am not worried about jpg or music/video files as I already can rate and filter those type of files.

Thanks in advance,

Trace

1 Expert replyverified_user

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tracey Banning
January

Rating/Marking/Flagging Fles

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

If you right click on a Office files, you can add tags, star ratings, details and much more. You can make PDFs searchable, etc. And you can right click on image files and add star ratings and much more without the need for Adobe. These are all inherent to the Windows O.S.

Kind Regards,

James

(Please note that a moderator may remove this thread, since it is off-topic to Google Small Business.) 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Brielle B (Google Employee)
January

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

It is great to hear that the community was able to, once again, provide quality assistance for your needs and you are powered forward. I am happy to help.

All the Best,

James

View solution in original post

All Replies

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

Welcome back to the community. 

I know that there are add-ons for Google Docs that can do a lot of neat stuff. And there are all sorts of additions for Google Cloud, like Labels, that can really power how you store, categorize, and locate your information. And there are apps/add-ons for Google Drive that could help you, too. 

I will have to think further on your request to provide more info. You could post your questions in the Google Drive help community, since they work specifically with this product. Someone should be able to provide some really great tips on empowering Google Drive to do as you want. 

Kind Regards,

James

Re: Rating/Marking/Flagging Fles

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@J Clemens I'm actually looking for something to use in Windows File Explorer, not Google Drive. I would need the tagging/labelling potential on my computer first, so I could select only the key stuff to upload to Driv

I came up with the idea of adding stars or color labels to documents and files (pdf, xls, doc file extensions) after starting to delve into Adobe Lightroom''s categorization capabilities. I saw the potential of taking the category system to my other, non jpeg files.

Thank you for the response, though.

Tracey

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tracey Banning
January

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

If you right click on a Office files, you can add tags, star ratings, details and much more. You can make PDFs searchable, etc. And you can right click on image files and add star ratings and much more without the need for Adobe. These are all inherent to the Windows O.S.

Kind Regards,

James

(Please note that a moderator may remove this thread, since it is off-topic to Google Small Business.) 

Re: Rating/Marking/Flagging Fles

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@J Clemens My apologies for the delay in responding, but i was actually putting your guidance to the test. As always, your input was spot on. I'm especially thrilled that your suggestion brought me to keyword tags in the metadata. (I can't begin to tell you how we will be using that, and how many "cool" ideas that concept has generated. Gosh, I can be such a tech-dork at times.)

Many thanks.

My best to you.

Tracey

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Brielle B (Google Employee)
January

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

It is great to hear that the community was able to, once again, provide quality assistance for your needs and you are powered forward. I am happy to help.

All the Best,

James

Experts in the Topic
J Clemens