AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Small Business
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Your business is up and running, you're looking for information and guidance to help you become more savvy and efficient. This is the place for you.
Guide Me
star_border

How to make a bad review go under better and new ones

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

We are new in the Google Community, so this is the first time that we write regarding our business. This is a family owned coffee shop and as an establishment in the restaurant industry, we receive good and bad reviews, mostly good though. However, our question is how can a bad review go under better and new ones in Google? We got a bad review back in June of this year, but we got better and newer reviews after this date. If you go and search our business, the bad one from June appears on top instead of the newer ones. Can anyone explain why is this?

I have been trying to get help from Google but all I can get is articles about reviews, nothing that helps me understand or talk to someone in Google to solve this issue.

Any insights or help that you can provide will be greatly appreciate it!

Geraldyne Pinto

World Blend

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author World B
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @World B,

This is the normal course for reviews to work and there is no way to manually adjust the placement. 

Once the newer reviews are processed and more are added, the others will get pushed down and average out your overall score. It just takes time. 

Further, don't worry too much about a bad review. We, as business owners, often feel as though this is the worse thing ever to happen to us... but studies show that consumers actually receive all of the reviews (and the business) more favorably (and honestly) with a blend of review types and scores. No one is perfect is the general thinking. 

With that said, you can reply to the review and use it as chance to show your business' best side. Keep your answer short and sweet (not like those in this thread) and offer to speak with them further (offline or in private), so that you can provide them the exceptional customer care your company is known for. Take a look at this thread for expert suggestions on reviews

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author World B
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @World B,

This is the normal course for reviews to work and there is no way to manually adjust the placement. 

Once the newer reviews are processed and more are added, the others will get pushed down and average out your overall score. It just takes time. 

Further, don't worry too much about a bad review. We, as business owners, often feel as though this is the worse thing ever to happen to us... but studies show that consumers actually receive all of the reviews (and the business) more favorably (and honestly) with a blend of review types and scores. No one is perfect is the general thinking. 

With that said, you can reply to the review and use it as chance to show your business' best side. Keep your answer short and sweet (not like those in this thread) and offer to speak with them further (offline or in private), so that you can provide them the exceptional customer care your company is known for. Take a look at this thread for expert suggestions on reviews

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much James! We will take this into consideration.

Geraldyne and Valdy Pinto