Small Business
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Your business is up and running, you're looking for information and guidance to help you become more savvy and efficient. This is the place for you.
Guide Me
star_border

Google+ Extended Circles

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Google+ Extended Circles and Followers

I was wondering whether people who follow you (your followers) are included in posts made to your extended circles? Or, is it necessary to follow your followers back, and put them into a circle before they receive your posts made to an extended circle?

I've tried to find this answer, but have no sucess.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tracey Banning
August 2016

Re: Google+ Extended Circles

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

It can be a lot to take in but it sounds like we have made some great progress. Let's go another step or two from here. 

If I add you to any of my circles, you will get alerted and can either do nothing or add me to any of your circles. If you do nothing and do not add me to a circle... we are still not connected and I can only see what you share with the public. G+ does not treat those that follow (add you to their circle) you as anything until you do. They are still "the public," strangers. And those that you add and they add you back (100% completed) are your circles.

G+ works completely differently from Facebook (just using as an example) in that I can add thousands of people to my G+ circles but until I am added back... nothing has happened. With FB, to add someone as a friend, I send a request to be friends, they accept and we are fully connected... end of story, 100% (unless I add them as a restricted friend). G+ lets anyone add anyone to any circles but that only means 50% of the required 100% has been completed... which might as well be 0%. 

Taking the FB comparison a little farther, with FB you can be friends or like a business... but you can unfollow them and they do not know it and you can still go to their page and they can come to yours... and they are none the wiser. With G+, you can add someone to the Muted circle. When you mute people or pages, you won’t receive notifications about what they’ve been up to on Google+. You can still see their updates in your stream or if you go to their profile -- you just won’t be notified about, say, a new comment or a post.

Now then... people connected to people in your circles are extended circles... or circles of circles. But if those people are in a private circle (hidden), they are not in your extended circles since they are hidden -and- you do not know them yet. Your friend knows them but they are not public to you unless they are public to your friend. Extended circles is a way for G+ to expose your posts to people you are not connected to but are also "possible not" total strangers since they are circled (known) by someone you are 100% connected to. They could be your sister's best friend and so by exposing you both... one might circle and then get circled back and complete the 100% connection.

Still further...

You can follow someone on Google+ to see what they share in your home stream.

When you follow someone on Google+, you can see posts they've made in your home stream.

When you follow someone:

• They are added to your "Following" circle
  • They might get a notification letting them know that you're following them.
  • They can see that you're following them.
  • They can choose what you see from them.
  • They can see what you share and previously shared with your "Following" circle.

To follow someone:

1. Open the profile of the person you want to follow. You can search for their name, or click or touch their photo next to a comment or post they've made.
  2. Click or touch FOLLOW.

To unfollow someone:

1. Open the profile of the person you want to unfollow. You can search for their name, or click or touch their photo next to a comment or post they've made.
  2. Click or touch FOLLOWING (or the name of the circle they’re in).
  3. Unselect the "Following" circle.
  4. Click or touch DONE or OK.

Comment on a post

You can comment on posts that other people share. Anyone who can see a post you comment on can see, reply to, and +1 your comment, unless you've blocked them or they blocked you. 

To comment on a post:

1. Open the post you want to comment on.
  2. Click or touch the comment icon .
  3. Add your comment, then click or touch POST, ADD, or the send icon .

After you make a comment, you can edit or delete it:

1. Find the comment you want to edit or delete.
  2. Touch your comment or click the menu icon .
  3. Click or touch Edit or Delete comment.

Note: If you don't see the comment icon on a post, it means you don't have permission to comment. People can turn off comments on their posts after other people have made comments, so you might see comments on a post without being able to post a comment. 

+1 a post

You can use the +1 button to show that you like what someone else posted.

To +1 a post:

1. Find the post you want to +1.
  2. Click or touch the +1 icon

To undo a +1, click or touch the +1 icon again. You can also delete +1's from your Activity Log

People in your network might see posts that you've +1ed in their stream and might get a notification that you +1ed their post. Anyone who can see a post can see who +1ed that post.

Your Shared Endorsements settings affect how your name and picture might be used when you +1 ads.

You can go back and see posts and comments you've +1ed by checking your Activity Log. You can also remove your +1 using the Activity Log.

People who see posts and comments you make can +1 them. Their followers might see that they +1ed your post or comment, and you might get a notification that someone +1ed your post or comment. 

Note: Not all features are available across all platforms. If you can't find something you're looking for, please try a different device.

I hope this help further and I have not over-complicated the explanations. I tend to try and provide enough info to help now and expand one's thinking on the subject I am helping with. Please let us know if you have further questions. 

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

They can but not an absolute yes (because they are changing constantly). Extended circles are those people actually connected to your circles. And if you share something with another circle, no, they will not. If you share with the public, everyone see it, even those unknown, hence the public status. Make a family circle and only share closely personal stuff with that circle and no one else will see it. Make a work group circle and share office stuff and only that circle will see it. These features allow you to tightly control what and who you share with. It's a truly great setup that Google came up with. 

You can learn a little more with this great explanation and graphic. 

Extended-circles-2.png

From Google....

When you share something, you might notice an option to share with your extended circles. Your extended circles include people in your circles' circles. Posts shared with your extended circles will be visible on your posts tab to people in your circles' circles.

For example, let's say Nediva is in one of your circles, and Jadon is in one of Nediva's circles. You don't know Jadon and he's not in any of your circles. If Nediva chooses to have Jadon visible on her profile among the people in her circles, and you choose to share a post with your extended circles, that post could appear on Nediva's Home page and be visible to Jadon on your Posts tab of your profile.

You aren't able to see a complete list of the people included in your extended circles -- it's a collection of people that's frequently changing. Your extended circles may also be used to help generate suggestions of people Google+ thinks you may know.

With that said, use circles to communicate with people. And people generally like to be added back when they add you, but your should certainly decide if they are a good fit to be added. When you add someone to a circle (except Mute), they can see more of your profile (About), etc.. If you do not add someone, they only see what you have allowed to be shared in your settings. You could create a circle called prospects and add all of those you are not too sure about... and share certain stuff with them to give them a feel for who you are. 

You can explore more about Circles here

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi James

I'm still a little confused about how my followers are treated when I post, I am getting the extended circles, concepts, especially with your input and the great link you provided. I get the organization and privacy attributable to circles of family, work, book club, etc.

My confusion is this: are followers treated as a "circle" by G+, even if I don't follow them back? There are some followers that just are not a good fit, and I'm not so inclined to follow them back. That said, if they follow me, they must have a reason, so i woulld not want to leave them out from quasi-private posts to extenddd circles.

Too, on thinking on the issue, you mentioned that posts to extended circles are only extended if a person has those people in their circles visible on their G+ page. Wouldn't those people hidden from view also remain part of the people receiving my post to extended circles?

I do agree with you wholeheartedly that Google is brilliant in the organization of people in your circles.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tracey Banning
August 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

It can be a lot to take in but it sounds like we have made some great progress. Let's go another step or two from here. 

If I add you to any of my circles, you will get alerted and can either do nothing or add me to any of your circles. If you do nothing and do not add me to a circle... we are still not connected and I can only see what you share with the public. G+ does not treat those that follow (add you to their circle) you as anything until you do. They are still "the public," strangers. And those that you add and they add you back (100% completed) are your circles.

G+ works completely differently from Facebook (just using as an example) in that I can add thousands of people to my G+ circles but until I am added back... nothing has happened. With FB, to add someone as a friend, I send a request to be friends, they accept and we are fully connected... end of story, 100% (unless I add them as a restricted friend). G+ lets anyone add anyone to any circles but that only means 50% of the required 100% has been completed... which might as well be 0%. 

Taking the FB comparison a little farther, with FB you can be friends or like a business... but you can unfollow them and they do not know it and you can still go to their page and they can come to yours... and they are none the wiser. With G+, you can add someone to the Muted circle. When you mute people or pages, you won’t receive notifications about what they’ve been up to on Google+. You can still see their updates in your stream or if you go to their profile -- you just won’t be notified about, say, a new comment or a post.

Now then... people connected to people in your circles are extended circles... or circles of circles. But if those people are in a private circle (hidden), they are not in your extended circles since they are hidden -and- you do not know them yet. Your friend knows them but they are not public to you unless they are public to your friend. Extended circles is a way for G+ to expose your posts to people you are not connected to but are also "possible not" total strangers since they are circled (known) by someone you are 100% connected to. They could be your sister's best friend and so by exposing you both... one might circle and then get circled back and complete the 100% connection.

Still further...

You can follow someone on Google+ to see what they share in your home stream.

When you follow someone on Google+, you can see posts they've made in your home stream.

When you follow someone:

• They are added to your "Following" circle
  • They might get a notification letting them know that you're following them.
  • They can see that you're following them.
  • They can choose what you see from them.
  • They can see what you share and previously shared with your "Following" circle.

To follow someone:

1. Open the profile of the person you want to follow. You can search for their name, or click or touch their photo next to a comment or post they've made.
  2. Click or touch FOLLOW.

To unfollow someone:

1. Open the profile of the person you want to unfollow. You can search for their name, or click or touch their photo next to a comment or post they've made.
  2. Click or touch FOLLOWING (or the name of the circle they’re in).
  3. Unselect the "Following" circle.
  4. Click or touch DONE or OK.

Comment on a post

You can comment on posts that other people share. Anyone who can see a post you comment on can see, reply to, and +1 your comment, unless you've blocked them or they blocked you. 

To comment on a post:

1. Open the post you want to comment on.
  2. Click or touch the comment icon .
  3. Add your comment, then click or touch POST, ADD, or the send icon .

After you make a comment, you can edit or delete it:

1. Find the comment you want to edit or delete.
  2. Touch your comment or click the menu icon .
  3. Click or touch Edit or Delete comment.

Note: If you don't see the comment icon on a post, it means you don't have permission to comment. People can turn off comments on their posts after other people have made comments, so you might see comments on a post without being able to post a comment. 

+1 a post

You can use the +1 button to show that you like what someone else posted.

To +1 a post:

1. Find the post you want to +1.
  2. Click or touch the +1 icon

To undo a +1, click or touch the +1 icon again. You can also delete +1's from your Activity Log

People in your network might see posts that you've +1ed in their stream and might get a notification that you +1ed their post. Anyone who can see a post can see who +1ed that post.

Your Shared Endorsements settings affect how your name and picture might be used when you +1 ads.

You can go back and see posts and comments you've +1ed by checking your Activity Log. You can also remove your +1 using the Activity Log.

People who see posts and comments you make can +1 them. Their followers might see that they +1ed your post or comment, and you might get a notification that someone +1ed your post or comment. 

Note: Not all features are available across all platforms. If you can't find something you're looking for, please try a different device.

I hope this help further and I have not over-complicated the explanations. I tend to try and provide enough info to help now and expand one's thinking on the subject I am helping with. Please let us know if you have further questions. 

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
James. Thank you. I was aware of a lot of what you shared, but certainly not all. Your comments were obviously well thought out and very articulate. You certainly answered my inquiries and provided a lot of food for thought. Thank you again.

Tracey

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

You are very welcome. 

Thanks for visiting Google Small Business and allowing us to provide help to you and for your happy feedback, too.

Kind Regards,

James 

Google+ Extended Circles

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good evening James. Why is posting to extended circles only an option sometimes? I can't figure that out for the life of me. I prefer to post to extended circles most of the time but it's not an option 8 out of 10 times

Google+ Extended Circles

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Randy YG p,

Good evening. It depends on the community and person and their unique permissions and settings. Some of them (community an/or people) do not want to be so public, so they restrict actions. Also, if you are sharing content from somewhere and reporting it to others, they can have permissions that restrict things on others, such as yourself. 

Kind Regards,

James