AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Small Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Your business is up and running, you're looking for information and guidance to help you become more savvy and efficient. This is the place for you.
Guide Me
star_border

Going Pro With A Professional Email Address

[ Edited ]
Google Small Business Advisor
# 1
Google Small Business Advisor

The Google Small Biz Games Starting Line Challenge taught us how to obtain a business domain name. Now it’s time to "Go Pro" by creating a professional email address for your business.

A professional email address helps build credibility as you create relationships in your business, like keeping in touch with the great customers that are finding your business and leaving reviews on Google Maps.

To get started, you’ll need a business email powered by Google Apps for Work.

Once you are signed up, all the Google tools you need to manage your business are connected including Google Hangouts, Calendar, Drive, Google My Business and more.

Need more emails for your business than just your name?  

• Add team members and give them their own email at your domain. ie: sarah@example.com.

• Create Aliases:  Google Apps for Work allows you to create up to 30 “aliases” that arrive at your primary business  address.  Example aliases that might be helpful are info@example.com or sales@example.com or recipes@example.com

What else can you do with Gmail? Check out the Transformation Gallery, which offers tons of ideas and solutions to help you streamline your work and be more productive.  

Three of my favorites are:

Automatically Organize Your Inbox

Google keeps my email organized and prioritized and seriously saves my sanity. All promotional items go in one tab, another tab holds social interactions and my most important emails go into the inbox tab.

Manage Your Inbox

Now that my inbox is organized, I can add stars, labels, and priority tags to emails. Labels are super for managing by client, email, or topic.

For example, I currently have a project that is very email heavy. At the end of the day, I search for the emails by the sender name, label them accordingly, and then archive them. If I need to find a related email later, I use the search box and voila! All related emails appear.

Stay in Touch Using Chat and Video

I often coach small business owners as they incorporate new tools in their business. I personally love using Google Hangouts as a way to connect and communicate. The experience is similar to being in the same room, even if you are miles or oceans apart.  

Tools within the Hangout app, such as screen sharing, make it so much easier to show clients how to use a Google product. It's awesome to see the light bulb come on when a client ‘gets’ what you are saying.

Best of all is making the personal connection in a Hangout. The ability to see a person’s facial expressions really enhances communication.

Need more Gmail training? Add the Chrome extension Training for Google Apps. The app will add a button in the upper right-hand corner of your Gmail account. Just click on the button and a searchable help menu will appear inside your email.

Have other small business questions? Ask me and the other talented Google Small Business Advisors in the Google Small Business Community. We are here to help!

1 Expert replyverified_user