Small Business
3K members online now
3K members online now
Your business is up and running, you're looking for information and guidance to help you become more savvy and efficient. This is the place for you.
Guide Me
star_border

Facebook privacy settings and impact

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Im trying to get my head around the real impact of Facebook  privacy settings, and what the ultimate impacts is.

If my Facebook privacy settings are "friends" and I post to my "family" list which includes Betty, and Betty's settings are "friends of friends", and Betty replies to my post, does that mean that my post is now seen by friends of friends of Betty?

I want to understand this concept before delving into Facebook business page.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tracey Banning
August 2016

Re: Facebook privacy settings and impact

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

I have been a Facebook advertiser/developer for many years and would like to add to the very helpful info provided already by @Brielle B and @BrandonSchaefer.

It sounds like you are using a personal page simply named as a business page since business pages should not have privacy settings like your description. A long time ago, business pages and personal pages started out much the same... but over the years many changes were made, and through those changes... many issues came up and so Facebook split the two and pretty much demanded that business dump their business profiles created on the personal page profiles and migrate to the proper profile platform.

One of the reasons for change was that businesses were causing confusion by asking to be friended and making their business pages private... which is not really how a business page should be. Business pages should be visible to all as that is the purpose of promoting a business and there is no such thing as adding "friends" to a business page.  

Last year, Facebook started deleting business pages using the personal page profiles and insisted that personal pages be named by a real person (a legally real person) so that law enforcement and others could trace back who was using that page since bullying, harassment, scams and crimes ran rampant. And they insisted that businesses use the like feature. They then added in the verified business green check mark shield, which tells consumers that it is a true, verified business. You should do this for your business page as Facebook promotes these more in the feeds.  

To summarize, personal pages gather friends... business pages gather likes. Personal pages have privacy settings and business pages have general settings where you can make the page visible or not and change many other features. Go to the business page and look at the top right for the words Settings... and click on it. Business pages also have flipped design, where info panel is on the right side... personal pages have the info panel on the left. 

And since not all brands or businesses are created equal, they give you a choice in the type of a business page you create. Some allow reviews and others do not, for example. Features slightly vary depending on type. 

facebook-new-business-page.jpg

If you are using a personal profile for business... at some point, it could/will be removed, And until it does, it will not be shown to as many users on Facebook. Since the purpose of building social pages for a brand or business is exposure.... set up the right type and get that exposure you need to be successful online!

Please note that since Facebook is so large, some things may not match up exactly to what I posted, however, everything I posted is correct, current and how a business should utilize a business profile on Facebook in 2016. If something does not match up today... it will soon enough as Facebook does things in batches and waves... and those will ultimately catch up with you, too.

Kind Regards,

James  

View solution in original post

Re: Facebook privacy settings and impsct

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

That's a good question, @Tracey Banning. It's important to note that the privacy and sharing settings for Facebook Business pages are different than those configured for a personal account (even if that account/person is a page manager). You can learn more about Facebook Business pages here: https://www.facebook.com/business/learn/facebook-page-settings

Perhaps one of our members is better versed in Facebook privacy settings and may be able to help with the specifics of your personal account related question.

Google Small Business Advisor
# 3
Google Small Business Advisor

@Tracey Banning - yes, the post will be seen by the "friends of friends of Betty?"

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tracey Banning
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

I have been a Facebook advertiser/developer for many years and would like to add to the very helpful info provided already by @Brielle B and @BrandonSchaefer.

It sounds like you are using a personal page simply named as a business page since business pages should not have privacy settings like your description. A long time ago, business pages and personal pages started out much the same... but over the years many changes were made, and through those changes... many issues came up and so Facebook split the two and pretty much demanded that business dump their business profiles created on the personal page profiles and migrate to the proper profile platform.

One of the reasons for change was that businesses were causing confusion by asking to be friended and making their business pages private... which is not really how a business page should be. Business pages should be visible to all as that is the purpose of promoting a business and there is no such thing as adding "friends" to a business page.  

Last year, Facebook started deleting business pages using the personal page profiles and insisted that personal pages be named by a real person (a legally real person) so that law enforcement and others could trace back who was using that page since bullying, harassment, scams and crimes ran rampant. And they insisted that businesses use the like feature. They then added in the verified business green check mark shield, which tells consumers that it is a true, verified business. You should do this for your business page as Facebook promotes these more in the feeds.  

To summarize, personal pages gather friends... business pages gather likes. Personal pages have privacy settings and business pages have general settings where you can make the page visible or not and change many other features. Go to the business page and look at the top right for the words Settings... and click on it. Business pages also have flipped design, where info panel is on the right side... personal pages have the info panel on the left. 

And since not all brands or businesses are created equal, they give you a choice in the type of a business page you create. Some allow reviews and others do not, for example. Features slightly vary depending on type. 

facebook-new-business-page.jpg

If you are using a personal profile for business... at some point, it could/will be removed, And until it does, it will not be shown to as many users on Facebook. Since the purpose of building social pages for a brand or business is exposure.... set up the right type and get that exposure you need to be successful online!

Please note that since Facebook is so large, some things may not match up exactly to what I posted, however, everything I posted is correct, current and how a business should utilize a business profile on Facebook in 2016. If something does not match up today... it will soon enough as Facebook does things in batches and waves... and those will ultimately catch up with you, too.

Kind Regards,

James  

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you all. James, I appreciate the then and now explanation. I'm still on the personal FaceBook page (just really started it a week or so ago), but I am looking to the future on the business page, which is why I was trying to understand the privacy settings. You all gave good insight.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

You are very welcome. If you need any further help, please just let us know.

Kind Regards,

James