Small Business
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Your business is up and running, you're looking for information and guidance to help you become more savvy and efficient. This is the place for you.
Guide Me
star_border

Facebook Restricted Friend

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Recently, in another post, @James_Clemens mentioned that you can have a restricted friend on Facebook. I've never heard of this, which isn't too surprising since I really just started using Facebook, but I am curious. 

What is a restricted friend? Does it apply to personal or business FB page? What is its purpose? 

I appreciate any guidance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tracey Banning
August 2016

Re: Facebook Restricted Friend

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

Putting someone on the Restricted list means that you’re still friends, but that you only share your posts with them when you choose Public as the audience, or when you tag them in the post. For example, if you're friends with your boss and you put them on your Restricted list, then post a photo and choose Friends as the audience, you aren’t sharing that photo with your boss, or anyone else on your Restricted list. However, if you tag your boss in the photo, or chose Public as the audience, they’ll be able to see the photo.

This works for any page that uses the Friends feature (not the Like feature). A true business page only uses the Like feature, whereas a personal page uses Friends. Some people use a personal page as a business page, which actually goes against the terms of use and will ultimately get the page removed. It is bad practice to use a personal page for business.

fb-post-privacy.png

Kind Regards,

James 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tracey Banning
August 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

Putting someone on the Restricted list means that you’re still friends, but that you only share your posts with them when you choose Public as the audience, or when you tag them in the post. For example, if you're friends with your boss and you put them on your Restricted list, then post a photo and choose Friends as the audience, you aren’t sharing that photo with your boss, or anyone else on your Restricted list. However, if you tag your boss in the photo, or chose Public as the audience, they’ll be able to see the photo.

This works for any page that uses the Friends feature (not the Like feature). A true business page only uses the Like feature, whereas a personal page uses Friends. Some people use a personal page as a business page, which actually goes against the terms of use and will ultimately get the page removed. It is bad practice to use a personal page for business.

fb-post-privacy.png

Kind Regards,

James 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@James_Clemens Makes perfect sense. Than you.

Tracey