Small Business
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Your business is up and running, you're looking for information and guidance to help you become more savvy and efficient. This is the place for you.
Guide Me
star_border

Copyright on Pictures

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Copyrighthe Questions. I am wondering whether it is best to maintain my copyright of pictures i take in my own personal name or that of my business. Does anyone have any thoughts or hints for best approach tips?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tracey Banning
September 2016

Re: Copyright on Puctures

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

Whatever name you do business in is the best course of action. However, if you are best known as yourself or work for someone else or work with a large base of other photographers or is cases like this, I would use my name. 

Also, keep in mind that if you use a business name and close that business down, the branding is lost, as is the copyright protection. When you copyright your images, it makes it property of that entity and gives that image exclusive protection against further use. Under the Federal Copyright Act of 1976, photographs are protected by copyright from the moment of creation. In order for the copyright protection to work properly, that registered owner should be accessible so that someone can request use, offer to buy outright or certain uses of it.

Happy clicking... and stay focused!

James 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tracey Banning
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

Whatever name you do business in is the best course of action. However, if you are best known as yourself or work for someone else or work with a large base of other photographers or is cases like this, I would use my name. 

Also, keep in mind that if you use a business name and close that business down, the branding is lost, as is the copyright protection. When you copyright your images, it makes it property of that entity and gives that image exclusive protection against further use. Under the Federal Copyright Act of 1976, photographs are protected by copyright from the moment of creation. In order for the copyright protection to work properly, that registered owner should be accessible so that someone can request use, offer to buy outright or certain uses of it.

Happy clicking... and stay focused!

James 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @James_Clemens. You raised some very interesting points about branding and also about maintaining protection if the business closes. You also made me think of other scenarios if the copyright is held by my business, for example selling the business, taking on a partner, etc. 

I do believe that you helped me resolve my internal debate on this. I believe my course will be to hold the copyright personally, and license the photos to my business. I preserve the corporate veil, and still have the rights to the photos on other levels beyond the license to my business. THANK YOU!

I will stay focused, will keep clicking away, and will keep my eye on my goals. Lol.

My best to you.

Tracey

P.S. Are you my personal advisor? It seems like you get stuck with me a lot - but I'm very glad you're out there.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracey Banning,

I am never stuck with you, lol, just really happy to be able to provide help whenever I can.

Actually, I am just a volunteer here, as a Google Rising Star... working towards becoming a Google Top Contributor. So I am not assigned to you (no one can be), I just happen to be here often and answer topics I have expertise in.

I am also happy to hear my answer provoked further thought and the right solution to your inquiry. That is always my intent when at all possible. I like your final direction and reasons for it. You are absolutely correct. 

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
James, you definitely have been helping. I'm sure you will be a top contributor before too long. I do like how your replies to my comments always seem to bring further thought and clarity.

Take care.

Tracey

Re: Copyright on Pictures

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
New Media Rights on the web are complex and there is no "one size fits all" as either a media creator or someone that uses the media. I would get a good understanding of how best to do what you want to do from an attorney based source. IT just so happens I know one. There is a non profit in California staffed by lawyers who works exclusively with questions related to New Media Rights. I met the Director about ten years ago in Georgetown and have been directing friends and clients who were in the music or film biz to their site ever since. Here it is: http://newmediarights.org/

Copyright on Pictures

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tracy,

If it's your business I would recommend using the company name. You own the company and therefore you own the copyright. If you are being paid by a third party the copyright belongs to them, unless you have a contractual agreement where the copyright reverts to you after a period. If you are being paid a salary by your company to take pictures the same applies. If you are taking pictures in your own time you may sell the copyright to your company but obviously, there will be a tax implication as you will be invoicing.

Hope this helps.