AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Small Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Your business is up and running, you're looking for information and guidance to help you become more savvy and efficient. This is the place for you.
Guide Me
star_border

Business location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I own a very small business started 24 years ago. All of my work is through"word of mouth" referrals. My wish has always been to maintain a very small business profile. I have virtually no advertising at all. Because of this, I have never really registered with Google or any other site. Basically, only yellow page directory when people search for me. I do not want a lot of traffic to request quotes from me. I want to work for clients that know me and are not "price shopping".

However, my wife has been pressing me to at least have a website up. A while ago, she tried to start the process of building and register website and she ran into a problem I hope you can correct. I am a small contractor so I do not have a "place of business" for walk in type. I have always worked out of my home. Apparently, my google account has a 20+ year old address listed as my "place of business". This is a home that I rented quite some time ago, maybe as long ago as when Google started. 

I looked on this site for a "change of address" in my profile? You can change a lot of things in your profile but there is no place to update or change my business address?

How do I change the business address to current?

Thank you.

Mike Sohanic

Painters Touch

6056 N Worthington Road

Doylestown, Pa. 18902

email: mjsohan@comcast.net

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Business location

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Welcome to the community, @Mike J S.

Do you have a Google My Business listing? If so, you can correct the address (and any other erroneous information) by following the steps listed here. If you don't have a Google My Business listing, you can register for free at http://www.gybo.com and you'll be able to create a new listing with all of the correct information.

It sounds like your business is what is known as a "service area business," meaning you serve your customers within a certain area (specific zip codes, for example) rather than directly at a place of business (like your office or home). You can specify your business as a service-area business during creation of your Google My Business listing, or (if you already have one) by following the steps detailed here. This will make it so that a personal address (such as the old home address listed) is not shown in the business listing. Do let us know if this resolves your issue; we're happy to help you get everything sorted out!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. I just noticed that google maps has this old address listed. I am not sure if I have a google business listing but I will try now to create a new one. Will this also correct google maps business location?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Yes, creating a new Google My Business will allow you to edit and add the correct information for your business on the map. When you visit http://www.gybo.com you'll just have to type your business' name in to see if your business is already on Google (even if it doesn't have the correct information). Once you've verified your business, you'll be able to make sure it's in the right place on Google Maps. You can learn more about correcting your business' information here.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
If your business is listed on Google Maps then technically it already has a google my business listing which you have to claim and then you can change the information. Starting a new page for your business will end up with you then having to pages one right one wrong and then you will have to contact google to get the wrong page deleted. Much easier to just correct to the existing page .

Oh by the way hey neighbor I am in Pennsylvania to