Small Business
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Your business is up and running, you're looking for information and guidance to help you become more savvy and efficient. This is the place for you.
Guide Me
star_border

A #1 Ranking that is hurting...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I could really use some help from the community concerning a client for which I am appointed Google Manager.

First, the problem. This clients BBB listing appears at the top of a Google search result for the query “BBB Seattle” and just above the Rightful BBB.ORG listing.

The trouble is that not only are we recording numerous calls and interruptions while trying to work, but then we courteously take the time to point callers trying to reach the Seattle BBB in the right direction. Please consider the investment of time that it takes to handle these calls. It is the time loss that is crying out for a solution to somehow mute the G listing for the "bbb seattle" search.

I should mention that I have tried editing the company name and parts of the listing that would possibly be supporting the content more than a couple times with no luck.

I was thinking of possibly asking if our listing could be NO-INDEXED, but really want that as a last resort. Or not?

I hope that you will share whatever information which you feel could prove useful.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David F
September 2016

Re: A #1 Ranking that is hurting...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @David F,

You are very welcome, sir.

I do agree that it is not ideal to pull it. If I did, I would only do it for a week or two, just to disrupt the SERPs. It would be long enough to hurt SEO rankings. But I would start with communicating all of it to BBB and ask them to have their IT department to evaluate the situation. They will not want their phone calls going to you anymore than you do. 

Happy Tuesday and please keep us informed of the outcome.

James

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @David F,

That is interesting. I did a search and saw what you are stating and can see how I would click on your client and think I was at the BBB. The names are just close enough to cause that... and this listing issue. 

Have you reached out to the BBB and sent screenshots of the SERPs (search engine result pages)? I would start there and see if they cannot do something. We are a BBB A+ accredited business and they have a solid technical support team that codes the pages and works on their SEO, which I think is working too well for you locally. lol

And, of course, the more that people click on it, the more relevancy it builds with Google. They may need to pull your listing for a few weeks and then republish it. Since it is not your website or an issue with anything other than the BBB site, you will need their help to resolve it. 

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Great advice, I had not thought about pulling the listing. My only concern about this path, is the loss or temporary distribution to the client's authority link?

That said, also one I think deserves further consideration...

Thank you very much for the enlightening help.

CHEERS!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David F
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @David F,

You are very welcome, sir.

I do agree that it is not ideal to pull it. If I did, I would only do it for a week or two, just to disrupt the SERPs. It would be long enough to hurt SEO rankings. But I would start with communicating all of it to BBB and ask them to have their IT department to evaluate the situation. They will not want their phone calls going to you anymore than you do. 

Happy Tuesday and please keep us informed of the outcome.

James