3.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

zip code or city

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I'm wondering if it's better to target my patients (I am an eye doctor) using zip codes around my practice, or city/ies  as my target?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: zip code or city

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Aman,

I would guess it depends on a number of factors...are you in a big city or somewhere that people would be willing to travel further for? Where are your competitors located in relation to you. In general, I don't think there is much of a difference unless you appeal to certain demographics...Ie, you are a boutique ophthalmologist in Boston and want to target upper middle class zip codes who may be more apt to purchase designer frames, but that can also be done with bid modifiers on income segments (done under Location Targeting->Advanced Settings->Location Groups->Demographics). You can also do radius targeting which will allow you to do a set distance around your business if you find people are generally willing to travel 15 miles (say 20 minutes).

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Aman,

You may have multiple options dependent on some factors, as Kyle explained above.

If you wish to know whether it is better to cover a pre-determined area with relatively small mosaics or larger geographical units, I would say that based on my experience mosaics will result in some loss of traffic. E.g. traffic-wise, it's better to target the entire US than each of the US States separately. Likewise it may be more efficient to target a given city than each of the zip codes of the city separately.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Kyle for your response. I guess I have already determined the area to target but just wanted to know if the google algorithm prefers to have zip codes entered or cities.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok so a larger mosaic is better...i get it. So my area has 4 zip codes. If i did it by cities, it equals 2 cities.

My next question is, would it be better to draw a square shape of the area? That would make it a mosaic of one (as opposed to 2 cities or 4 zip codes).

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Aman, if you know your targeting area, I would just go with whichever takes less effort to implement. It's strictly an IP/GPS location thing that doesn't affect anything other than who may see it. No algorithmic benefit to be had either way.

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
AdWords used to have the ability to draw the area you want to target with your mouse, however you can now only do radius now. I would say go with zip codes. That way, you can add bid multipliers based on performance and 4 zip codes gives you more flexibility.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much Kyle, and sorry to belabor the topic. One of the Adwords advisers told me to use BOTH zip code and radius targeting blanketing the same area. Do you think this is of any use?

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
That would work and would allow you to ultimately view each in terms of performance and apply bid multipliers.

Sent from my iPhone