AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

your other ad is already showing for this keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
When diagnosing keywords a error is showing thathat your other ad is already showing for this keyword. Pls tell me how to resolve this problem
2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author roshan m
September 2015

Re: your other ad is already showing for this keyword

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Roshan,

Just read up on your subject line again and realised you could be talking about your ad being triggered for keywords from a different adgroup or campaign. If this is the case then you need to add inter adgroup and inter campaign negatives to ensure this stops occurring.

If all else fails, you may want to start testing restrictive matchtypes for your keywords to ensure this doesn't happen again. Use of Exact, Phrase or BMM should help you on this.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Roshan,

This is simply telling you that there is cross contamination in your account. Namely that a search query can trigger more than one ad in your account.

So you may find that you have:
Green apples as broad match in ad group green apples
Red apples as broad match in ad group red apples

now when a user searches for 'apples' the higher ad rank keyword will win the auction (cetirus paribus) and thus you will get that error message when looking at the keyword that 'loses' out.

You need to make sure that your structure and match typing do not allow for this type of issue, furthermore you need to ensure that you do not have duplicate keywords in your account (differing match types aside).

Let me know if you need further assistance in this regard.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Roshan,

I don't completely understand your query here. I don't think this an error, If your ads are in fact showing up for your keywords, its a good thing. it means, your ads not being blocked due to any fault in structuring or addition of negative keywords.

If you still think you have a problem at your end in the account, can I suggest you put up a screenshot of the error? You can blank out details of your account and just show the error.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Roshan,

Just read up on your subject line again and realised you could be talking about your ad being triggered for keywords from a different adgroup or campaign. If this is the case then you need to add inter adgroup and inter campaign negatives to ensure this stops occurring.

If all else fails, you may want to start testing restrictive matchtypes for your keywords to ensure this doesn't happen again. Use of Exact, Phrase or BMM should help you on this.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Roshan,

This is simply telling you that there is cross contamination in your account. Namely that a search query can trigger more than one ad in your account.

So you may find that you have:
Green apples as broad match in ad group green apples
Red apples as broad match in ad group red apples

now when a user searches for 'apples' the higher ad rank keyword will win the auction (cetirus paribus) and thus you will get that error message when looking at the keyword that 'loses' out.

You need to make sure that your structure and match typing do not allow for this type of issue, furthermore you need to ensure that you do not have duplicate keywords in your account (differing match types aside).

Let me know if you need further assistance in this regard.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ad error.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi shashank i have uploaded the error screen shot here, and i am talking about the second error line "One of your other ads is already showing for this keyword.". What does it mean and how to rectify this issue ?, kindly guide as soon as possible.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi Roshan,

If you look at the error in the screenshot, it is actually two fold.

1. AdWords is telling you that your Ad rank for the said keyword is too low, which is a factor or your bid & QS. If the keyword in question has a low QS and bid, the combined factor is causing your Ad Rank to stay low. To fix this, you need to check if this particular keyword is relevant in your present structure, if it is relevant to your ad copy & the landing page.

If you structure your campaigns & adgroups properly, your QS for all your keywords should be good enough to make your QS go higher or stay higher. Clynton has given a good example here with regards to the structuring, you should follow it which may help you improve your QS.

2. Now for your most important question. Why is another ad showing for your keyword.
To answer this one, I need you to tell me if you are using any kind of structuring method where you have targeted the same keyword in different matchtypes under different adgroups or campaigns?

Targeting the same keywords with different matchtypes under different adgroups/campaigns can lead to such situations occurring from time to time. Basically, the QS for one of your keywords variations (mostly Borad matchtype) is too low whereas the QS for another keyword (in a more restrictive matchtype like Exact or Phrase) is better, which is leading to your ads for the Broad based keyword to not trigger but the same is not holding true for the restrictive matchtype keywords.

The same case can also arise if you have duplicate keywords targeted in your account. If you have duplicate keywords, it could happen that the QS for one of your duplicate keywords is higher than the other which is why your ads wont trigger for the keyword with the lower QS but will trigger for sure for the higher QS.

To solve this problem, I suggest you first check if you have any duplicate keywords in your structure ( by duplicate I mean same keyword with the same matchtype). Once the duplicates are removed, this issue will cease to exist.

If you have targeted the same keywords with different matchtypes, you need to ensure the bid for your best performing keyword variation remains higher than the others. This will ensure, your visibility is not hampered at all.

Do let me know if this makes sense and if this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello
I am getting the same error (One of your other ads is already showing for this keyword.)
The thing is I have no other add campaigns running.

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.