5.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

why would my keyword show in search partners but not google search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have two keywords which see a large volume of impressions and clicks on Google's Search Partner network, but not Google Search itself. Both have a qscore of 3/10 due to low ad relevance (which is an entirely different story given the use of these terms in ads). How can I get these terms to show up on Google Search?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: why would my keyword show in search partners but not google search

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

3/10 is really low. Sometimes , depending competition Q/S e.t.c. Low Quality Score Keywords don't show up ! You can read the first two paragraphs of the text included in this link and it will help you understand why 3/10 is quite low and maybe this is the reason you don't get impression on the Google Search.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/156066?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

I have a question thow.

How you distinguish the impressions from Google Search Partner Network from the impressions from Google Search ?

Are you confusing the impressions from Display Network with the impressions from Search in the bottom lines of your Keywords report ? Or is it me that i am going to learn something new from this question today ?

George Gemenetzis
Don't forget to Star or credit an answer as an AdWords Accepted Solution if it helped you.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
There are a few possibilities.

1. You are simply using keywords that are not searched for that often on the search engine but trigger on search partner pages. This is actually very common.

2. Your ad ranking due to your low QS may also be too low to show on Google's first page and thus limiting your exposure there.

There is no solution as you can't generate searches on your keywords: people will search on Google when they have a need. Assuming a reasonable position, it may however use up your budget so that you are effectively limiting Google searches. In that case, especially if the search partners don't produce good ROI, drop the search partners. This may give you more impressions as more of the budget is allocated to Google. What is your impression share percentage?

Or you may want to create ads that better cater to a search partner audience if you want to target them. This would be one of those rare cases where I'd ignore QS as it is calculated only on Google data, not the partners.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
1. If you do not need Search Partners traffic and focus only on Search Network Traffic, remove Search Partners from your Campaign Settings.
2. If you need both Search Network and Search Partners traffic,
2.i. try various keywords combinations for which you may acquire more impressions from Search Network as well. Also try keywords with geomodifers (keywords with your business location)
2. ii. try various bidding (increase) to see if you are able to acquire more impressions
2. iii. if you have lesser impressions in search network but no clicks, try to increase the CTR for the current impressions by trying specific ad variations for your specific keyword. you may want to splitup your two keywords into two adgroups if those two keywords represent two themes. Have specific ads reflecting your keywords with good unique selling point and call to action from your landing page.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Stephen E,

I'm going to give you a different view point on this. Yes, it is most likely because of your QS combined with your bid.

The deal is that actual CPC on Search partners is much lower than for Google search. Search partners, in general, do not perform as well as Google search, so many of your competitors may be bidding on Google search only. This could cause ad position on Google to be low, even on the second or third SERP while getting a first page position on Search Partners.

Using your search terms in the ad copy can indeed improve your QS, but only if that gets a better CTR than copy without those words. When Google says "relevance", it's really all about CTR. What's the overall CTR for this keyword (keyword relevance)? What's the CTR for the keyword/ad combination (ad relevance)? What's the CTR for the keyword/display URL combination (landing page relevance).

What should you do? Try to get a better CTR for those low QS keywords. If they're not already in separate AdGroups, you might want to create one or two new adgroups just for those keywords. Then test your ad copy--always keep at least two ads in each AdGroup, a control and a test. As the CTR goes up, so will the QS and that will get you onto Google Search. Either that or raise your bids considerably. If your profit margins won't allow that, your only course of action is to work on the CTR and QS.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi GeGe,

Go to the campaign tab then segment by network. That will give you numbers for Search partners vs Google search.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
i have totally forgotten that !!
George Gemenetzis
Don't forget to Star or credit an answer as an AdWords Accepted Solution if it helped you.