AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

why has the cost of my clicks increased so much ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

why has my cost per click increased from 8.00 to 10.00 per click to upwards of 35.00 per click now?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: why has the cost of my clicks increased so much ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Robert,

Is there anymore information you can provide that will help me, help you some more?

Do you have automatic bidding on?  What is your max cpc bid?

If you are not manually manage your bids & its on automatic bidding that Adwords probably raised it because the auction has become more competitive.

PPCSophie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Competition bidding on the same keywords?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome to our community.

Sometimes, when you're creating a fresh campaign and bidding on some keywords, the system "awards" you with an average (across the board) quality score for those keywords.

However, after a while, it begins to calculate your CTR for search terms triggered by those keywords and if that CTR is less of what other advertisers achieve, it begins to lower your quality score. As soon as the quality score decreases, if you happen to use automatic bidding, the system has to raise your bids in order to get your ad rank high enough.

As you probably know, Ad Rank = Quality Score x Bid. Automatic bidding tries to get your Ad Rank high enough to get to a position which can get you some clicks. If Quality Score hinders more than it helps, it makes up for it by raising the bid.

I'd suggest you look at your quality score and your CTR and if you see they are low (an average quality score is a 7, if your scores are 6 or less, especially for high volume keywords) you need to work on your ad copy & ad + keyword pairing.

Every search term triggered by a keyword in an ad group should be related to the ads you're using. If they're not, CTR suffers and as a result Quality Score suffers as well.

Have a look at the big spending keywords and tell us their QS and CTR. Also, if you had enough impressions and clicks, go to your keywords tab, click on a keyword and look at "Auction Insights". You'll see who you're competing against and how you're stacking up against your competitors.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.