AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

why are my keywords getting very high CTRs but my ads get low CTRs?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My keywords are getting anywhere from 2.0 to 10.0 CTR's, but my ads are only getting 0.50 CTR. I don't understand

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: why are my keywords getting very high CTRs but my ads get low CTRs

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Welcome to adwords community,

Can you please share a screenshot?

Thanks,

Kaushik

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the community,

It seems weird because ideally the # of impressions, Clicks, Conversions etc. should be same what is in ads tab or in keywords tab.

I think you may be not checking right set of ads or the ads of the ad group for which the keyword belong.

Regards,
Rupesh Chhabra

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Kaushick,

You have asked for screen shots.  I do not know how to paste them into these messages.  Please help.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Robert,

You seem to be comparing individual CTR at keyword level to CTR at Ads Level. Please note that while individual CTR for Ad and Keyword will not match, it will match when you compare it AdGroup or Campaign Level. 

Having said that let's understand what CTR is -

It is the number of clicks your ad receives divided by the number of times your ad is shown.

CTR = Clicks / Impressions

Example: If you have five clicks and 1000 impressions, then your CTR is 0.5%.

It means as the total impression at ad group level will not change whether you see it at Keywords Level or at Ads Level, there's no question about any difference in it. 

However, if you still think what I said does not match with your real scenario, please share screen shot. To upload a screen to the post, you simply need to switch to Full Reply Edit as shown in image below - 

full-editor.png

On the following screen you will find an option for image upload, click the icon and follow on-screen guidelines. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ratan,

Thank you for your reply.

Before I upload any images, let me ask a related question.

Let's suppose I only have one keyword, and let's also suppose I only have one ad.

In that scenario, the CTR for the keyword and for the ad ought to be the same, right?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let me even ask it differently....

If I want to raise the CTR for a particular ad, can't I delete the low-performing keywords for that ad and keep the high-performing keywords?

In fact, if I want a 5.0 CTR for an ad, and I have 2 keywords that are performing at 5.0 CTR, could I not delete all the keywords that are not performing at 5.0?

See what I mean?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Robert

In answer to your question: no not necessarily. You need to ensure, firstly that they are in the same ad group and secondly that they have both been running for the whole period in which you are looking. For example if you are looking at the last 30 days, but the ad has only been active for the last 14, then they will have different CTR's.

You need to check and see when changes were last made to the ad, and when the most recent version of the ad started running, same applies to the keyword.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Clynton,

Okay, I understand.

But let me test this a bit more.

Let's say I have only one ad, only one campaign, only one ad group, and
only one keyword.

Let's say I start that ad, with that keyword, etc. all at the same time.

In that limited case, then the CTR of the ad and keyword ought to be the
same, right?

*C. Robert (BOB) Nelms*
*FREE 15 minute WEBCAST*
Failsafe Network, Inc.
www.failsafe-network.com

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
With regards to your second question, in theory that works but it is not necessarily the way to go at all. I would actually advise against that, there are far more variables to consider and the reasoning for wanting this needs to be both understood and scrutinised.

I get the feeling that there is a particular result you are looking for here, so it would be best if we understood why you would want to do this? It would seem as though CTR is the be all and end all of this particular strategy which could end up being detrimental to the account in the long run. I'll give you one brief example here of why this would be so:

Suppose you delete all your BMM keywords that are generic and open ended in order to boost account CTR, making the account look better in the immediate future. The problem here is that the information that keyword gives you is way more valuable than an immediate lift in account CTR. Firstly you are not able to identify related key phrases that should be negatives across your account, identifying these terms becomes much harder. The next issue is identifying what users are actually searching for. We all believe that we know how users are finding our product, most feel strongly that they are correct and unfortunately almost all of them are proven wrong, and it is these broad terms that show us that. they are able to show us what users are actually searching for to find your product, they help us identify profitable traffic and direct our future account optimisations. Connected to this, these terms also help identify shifts in user behaviour.

Culling all keywords below a certain CTR is not a long term strategy to adopt. Now there are obviously terms that need to be paused/removed all the time, but this should not be dependant on a baseline CTR and nothing else. This is one sure way to stunt account growth severely.

I would suggest rather a restructure, make sure that your keywords are more strongly themed and related to the ad, and then begin ad testing to find what resonates better with the target audience. This will lead to much stronger and more sustainable increases in CTR.

Good Luck