Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

why are my adwords clicks generating fewer sessions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Clicks from Adwords are holding steady but the number of resulting sessions as shown by Google Analytics is dropping and conversions are dropping proportionately.

What are the possible causes?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Have you checked the bounce rate? You may be getting more clicks but GA will not count a session for users who leave the site very quickly (under 30 seconds with no user actions, I think). https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009409?hl=en

To improve bounce rate, make sure your landing pages have an appealing, easy to use format and are very relevant to their corresponding keywords. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the tip, but bounce rate doesn't seem to account for it.  Something else is happening.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWords markets are dynamic, many factors can change their performance.  It could be a seasonal phenomena - something which declines going into the Holiday seasons, e.g. legal services do that.  It could be that you have a new competitor. It could be many things which are difficult to speculate upon without knowing more detail. 

Could you share with us which vertical market you are operating in, and the targeted geography?  Don't tell us anything you don't want on a public web page.