AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

what metrics to trust - Adwords vs Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, Adwords community.

I've tried to create 3 topics last week and none gets posted.. so i wonder what is going on.

I have a client who uses Google Adwords & Google Analytics - Both are linked correctly.

The problem is that i don't know which product to trust. 

Analytics reports more income than Adwords does. That is of course becuase the cookie still exists on the customer who clicked on an ad, and later visited the website directly or via google search etc.

The question is what metrics should i trust and report too my client? In Adwords it shows negative reports for the most and in Analytics it shows remarkable numbers/sales. This is, what i believe at least, because of the market they are in. They are in the traning outfit business, i think often people compare prices and therefor the metrics in Adwords cannot be trusted as the people who click the ad often visit other website to COMPARE the prices.

What do you guys think? 

I thank you for reading this and tell me if didnt explain well enough.

Sincerely,

Steven

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: what metrics to trust - Adwords vs Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Steven K;

This is a nice question....

As you mentioned, there are discrepancies between the two products. The question is then not what metrics to trust, but what metrics to follow.

My approach, since  paid for AdWords and not for the overall traffic, is to report what I am paid for: AdWord. Part of the job, though, is to optimize the campaigns to a positive ROI

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, @MosheTLV !

Thanks for replying

I see what you mean Moshe. The problem is that the consumer as i told in my main topic compares prices with other competitors, therefor they way Adwords works does not fit with reporting in this case. Do i stand correct here? I CANNOT solely take the numbers from Adwords as it clearly states a very positive effect in the Analytics reports from CPC medium/source.,. Since it was the AD that made the consumer visit the site, i personally think that i should INCLUDE the Analytics report. And clarify for my client that the Adwords WORKS, but it has discrepancies as you are telling with reporting.

What do you think? Would you do that? Or would you solely report on the Adwords numbers?

My client demands results, and i clearly give them increased sales in the long run as Analytics states(?).

I apologize if my grammar is bad, i havent typed in english for years,

PS: I understand that i should improve and continue too optimize the Campaigns/Ads to make the consumer make the purchase instantly without comparing prices (have a landing page that converts is the almost the most important thing too have after all...)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again @Steven K;

Could you be more specific what discrepancies we are talking about?

Note, that if the conversion code is installed correctly the conversion o is attributed to the last click.

PS: all  clients demand results... The point to make is what results they could get from AdWords compared with organic traffic. Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Adwords statistics

adwordsstats.jpg

Analytics statistics

analytics.jpg

Lets say 10kr = 1 usd/euro

As you can see, the Analytics shows a MUCH higher value than Adwords does.

what i am trying too say is that the two products shows two different revenue values. Cost is equal, but not revenue. This is because Adwords only register conversions WHEN the visitor clicks the ad, if the visitor leaves after clicking an ad, but goes back too the store too buy it will still show as Google / CPC as the cookie is registered BUT will not show in Adwords because it didn't happen WHEN the visitor CLICKED the ad.

Do you get what i am trying to say?

And yes optimization of Adwords campaigns is of course important, but i think it is important too look at what both products reports. And WHICH products should i trust for revenue value? Adwords shows much less value than Analytics does.

My argument is that a customer who clicks on an ad wont always in the E-commerce business convert at that moment the visitor clicks the ad, this can happen for number of reasons. They clicked on the ad through mobile/computer and disconnected before the purchase, but purchased through another device later that evening/month and therefor not recorded in Adwords (or Analytics?). People often compare prices, people therefor have a high chance of leaving the website once a visitor clicks the ad too compare prices. When the user leaves the landing page, the user wont be registered in Google Adwords later because the user might directly type in the adress url, google search etc.

Just giving you my thoughts on this. What do you think @MosheTLV ?

Conclusion question:

Should i show both reports for costs/revenue - and explain it to my client that there are several discrepancies?

As you can see there is only 30 000 kr difference in Adwords through Costs -> All Conv Value. In Analytics there is 200 000kr (substantial amount in Norway) difference.

Thank you for your input and patience so far. I would love a reply and a suggestion from you.

Thanks again @MosheTLV appreciate the support

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Steven K;

There is I think a misunderstanding. 

>>"what i am trying too say is that the two products shows two different revenue values. Cost is equal, but not revenue. This is because Adwords only register conversions WHEN the visitor clicks the ad, if the visitor leaves after clicking an ad, but goes back too the store too buy it will still show as Google / CPC as the cookie is registered BUT will not show in Adwords because it didn't happen WHEN the visitor CLICKED the ad.

If the code is installed correctly and the cookie decision is set to the default 30 days any conversion during this time period will be attributed to the AdWords click even if took place days  after the initial click.

I would say double check how  the conversion code is installed. It seems that Analytics records some of the conversions twice.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've spoken with my client. It seems the Analytics numbers are correct and the Adwords are probably incorrect or calculated wrong in the algorithm.

Besides as long as the Adwords is profitable in some amount (as you stated above) there is no problem.

Thank you for your replies and the kind discusions.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Steven K it is actually far, far more likely that the problem lies with your setup/website than it is that there's an unreported error in the Google tracking that only you have spotted Smiley Happy  If everything is set up correctly, figures from AdWords and Analytics should match precisely, allowing for any differences in attribution modelling.

If you are certain your coding is correctly set up, the most likely answer is that Analytics is looking further back to attribute sales to AdWords than AdWords itself is.  The default lookback for Analytics is 6 months, whereas the default for AdWords is only 30 days.  Have you examined your Time Lag reports to give you an indication of how long after first click transactions take place?  Do you get a lot of repeat orders within a short (months) time period?

If you do have long conversion windows from Ads, and are certain Analytics is recording transactions correctly (which can be verified simply by comparing to the sales figures from the website/payment system itself), it may be more useful to import the Analytics transactions into AdWords and use these as your conversion metrics rather than using a separate AdWords conversion.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you again Jon for the reply.

Could you clarify more about the time lag reports?