AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

what is the impact of changeing keywords from broad to exact match?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: what is the impact of changeing keywords from broad to exact matc

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Santosh,

You will receive less volume but the traffic you receive should be more qualified. I would suggest to consider a few options:

• Instead of changing the broad to exact, consider pausing the broad and adding in exact.
  • Consider layering match types (using multiple match types)
  • Consider using modified broad to help capture some higher funnel keywords, while maintaining relevance.

Here is more information about match types.

Good luck!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Santosh,

Welcome to the Community! Without stretching too much in simple words, if you will change broad match keywords to exact match - you will notice drop in clicks. As broad match keywords trigger of variations also such as related terms, close variants, synonyms etc while exact match triggers exactly matched queries and its close variants.

Exact match keywords brings very highly targeted traffic but at the same time you loose lot of potential searches as one can not think of all variations. I am not sure why you wanna make this change, but I would advise you to use BMM instead of broad and use exact match. You can always check search query for BMM keywords and can add all potential keywords in exact match. Also can add negatives which are not relevant.

More Understanding on Match Types: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Edit: You got two replies at almost same time Smiley Happy As I was typing mine while Amy replied.! 

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Santosh,

Welcome to Adwords Community !

Changing Keywords from broad to exact impacts your campaign or Ad Group performance in different ways.

You may see the following changes in Campaign performance:

Decrease in impressions/Ad reach.
Increase in Quality Score
Increase in Click Through Rate.
Increase in Cost per Click.

Increase in Conversion Rate.

Anyhow these changes depends on many other factors in your Campaign.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Santosh,

Changing from Broad to Exact match keywords gives you more targeted traffic, but at the same time it stops your ads from triggering for several relevant and profitable keywords.

If you are wondering which one to choose more, it depends on the aim of campaigns and the business. And there is no rule of thumb for the same. 

If you intend to use Exact match, like Amy advised, I would also advise you to pause the existing broad match keywords and add new Exact matches. Doing this will retain relevant data in your account, and will help you decide the profitability over a few weeks. 

Also, I disagree to John here. Using Exact Match does not necessarily mean increase in impressions, clicks, CTR, or conversions. According to me, making use of Broad Match with Modifiers and Negatives are more useful in general. However, it's not the verdict, as it depends on several factors. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rantan,

I gave the general scenario of what happens when we move from broad match to exact match.

Since, Exact match type is more targeted we can expect high CTR and Conversions and Exact match is restrictive match type so there will be decrease in impressions. Here I'm speaking only in the context of impacts moving from broad to exact match type as the OP asked the same.

In the end I also mentioned it depends on many other factors.

Correct me if anything is wrong Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

And my quick comment on the topic: If you use broad match use the broad modified version (BMM) - using the classic broad could result in your ad triggered by irrelevant queries to your business,

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’