2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

what is an acceptable quality score ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anybody have a view on what is an acceptable quality score ?  6/10 or 8/10 ??

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric Gehler (Badged Google Partner)
October 2015

Re: what is an acceptable quality score ?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Oliver. I think it really depends on your advertising goals. Once you've done everything about ad relevance, landing page copy and performance and targeting, it's all down to ROAS. If it's good even with a QS of 4 or 3, than in that case even a 4 or 3 should do it. On the other hand, if the ROAS is bad, then the fact that the keyword has a QS of 8, 9 or even 10 won't really help.

Great quality scores ensure your costs stay down, but ultimately, in my view, it's what you get from a click compared to what you put in it that really matters. And for a click to translate into something, the website (or the phone call if it's a call only campaign) also matters a lot.

Hope it helps and sorry for not coming up with a black or white answer.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Oliver,

Definitely the higher quality score is always best.
Higher QS influences your bid amount, if its 8 then you will require lower CPC bid to acquire the same position. if you can't bid high due to budget constraint then improve QS to be on top positions.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric Gehler (Badged Google Partner)
October 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Oliver. I think it really depends on your advertising goals. Once you've done everything about ad relevance, landing page copy and performance and targeting, it's all down to ROAS. If it's good even with a QS of 4 or 3, than in that case even a 4 or 3 should do it. On the other hand, if the ROAS is bad, then the fact that the keyword has a QS of 8, 9 or even 10 won't really help.

Great quality scores ensure your costs stay down, but ultimately, in my view, it's what you get from a click compared to what you put in it that really matters. And for a click to translate into something, the website (or the phone call if it's a call only campaign) also matters a lot.

Hope it helps and sorry for not coming up with a black or white answer.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
As Adwiser says really. A low QS but with a good ROAS is worth working on to improve. Prune the rest. Sometimes it takes a bit of history for a QS to turn around. Some QS scores can be impacted by system or evaluation changes, website issues. Generally they settle again within a week.
Record your QS scores daily to see fluctuation. https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/solutions/keyword-performance

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Just to add to @AdWiser's great advice, with which I totally agree, it's also worth bearing in mind that higher scores, especially10/10 are not necessarily even possible for some Keywords so you should ensure you don't spend too long obsessing over a relatively minor rise in QS when that time could be better spent elsewhere...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In my expeirence, Quality Score is really an unattanible arrbitration of an algorythm that is not actually of true merit. For years I have gone around and around with Google over my quality score, which claims to a validation of truth in advertising, however, also counts consumer interest or curiousity as a negetive agaist consumer conversion. Driving traffic to your page without getting them to stay awhile counts against you. We have a product that is made from the source, delivered from the source, adversises the exact product from the source, key words are exact match representing the product that they see, to purchase when they land on the page, it could be no more accurate. I am always a 7/10 or 8/10, when I state that my product is Organic and land on my organic page for the exact product it drops to 6/10. I get 10/10 with my keyword that is states my product is Hawaiian. Now the important thing to reference this against how many sold in the last 30 days, for my highest frequency key word I had 17 conversions, at 24,77 CPA, 4.04% rate, but with the 10/10 I had 5 sales at 3.55 at a 20.83% conversions rate. But does this mean that the 10/10 is better, it is not because it does not bring in the quantity of sales as my add running 8/10. Now get this, the add that runs the name of my company, which has the name of the brand and the product sold in the title, lands on a page to sell the product exactly what it is under the brand with what it is in the title "Healing Noni" had 16 conversions at .83 each and a 36.36% conversions rate. it has a quality score of 8/10. Does this make sence? Not to me. For this reason I believe quality score is driven by co-founding factors that improve the value of a keyword in the balance for googles system of cost per bid. It does not reflect anything that you can personally effect by being more accurate in your presentation. I have found that it is highly important to only target your known conversions in an exact manner, unless you only intend on creating brand recognition within a perscribed budget for unquited advertisment. It is very easy to spead your net to far. Yesterday I had 4 conversions at 6.87, last year on the same day I had 1 for 56.97. this year I had 7,124 impressions, in 2010 I had 9,293 impression. My aversage cost per click in 2010 was .61 cents but this year it was .27 cents. I had 2 conversions in 2010 for 52.45 each.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @John Michael D it's worth noting that Quality Score takes no account of converted clicks or conversion rate for the simple reason that these metrics are controlled by the advertiser and may have no relevance to site quality or performance.  For example, I could set up a conversion for everyone that lands on my landing page and have a huge conversion rate, but obviously this would be meaningless in terms of actual quality.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree, that is what I meant by, unless you only intend on creating brand recognition within a prescribed budget for unrequited advertisement. For my purposes my use of the term conversion means that a customer purchased a product. It is a good point and perhaps easier to say that quality score has nothing to do with sales generated by adwords. This said, it does not seem to me, and I ask others what they have found, that quality score has any indication of importance at all. In my instance it certainly does not speak to ad relevance. When the ads we show are relevant, closely matching what customers are looking for. "Relevant ads tend to earn more clicks, appear in a higher position, and bring you the most success." The take away that I have found in the 10 years talking about this, would be that there are enough cofounding factors contributing to the quality score to render actually explaining its final determinant factor a matter of selective opinion in the situational opportunistic sense. Like Sam, in this example:

Let's say that you own a website that specializes in socks, and Sam, a customer, is looking for striped socks. Wouldn't it be great if Sam typed "striped socks" into Google search, saw your ad about striped socks, clicked it, and then landed on your webpage and bought some spiffy new striped socks?

When someone types in Noni Juice, they find Noni Juice on our site, exactly. When they type in Healing Noni Juice, they find Healing Noni selling Noni Juice, and not noni juice that has been mixed, remixed, from concentrate, No, they find the farm selling whole pure fresh noni juice. It really could not be more exact. Yet I get a 6/10, and I have received many explanations why it does not matter and how relevance is not the only factor determining it.

The biting issue is that Quality leads to lower CPC and Ad Position. Which makes little sence in the instance that I have a 6/10 on Healing Noni Juice, of which on exact match trend to be the only one, because it is representing my company. I am always in first position and have no competition on that word. So the quality score is appearing to artificially be inflating my cost per click.