AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

what are we doing right?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Recently we began experimenting with splitting our Product Listing campaign into brands, with a view to increasing the cpc on our more profitable brands.  Being cautious, we left it a few days after creating a few separate brands before changing our bids to see what happened. We're a bit puzzled with the result, as the individual brand categories are getting very little traffic, but the product listing campaign is producing noticeably more revenue, since we made the initial change. Any ideas what we're doing right? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: what are we doing right?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Carrie. How's everything at campaign level, with regards to impressions and clicks (and CTR)? Are you getting more impressions and a higher CTR or is the volume the same?

I'm also experimenting with brands as ad groups and brand-filtered targets, and was puzzled to see that they trigger ads in one account but not in another. But the idea is ok, in my view, as sometimes when you have many SKUs it's hard to go at one ad group - one product - one target level.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin, thanks for responding. CTR and impressions have also increased. We're a bit puzzled by this though:

We’re running one main product listing campaign - Ad Group 1 - for all products. We then set up auto targets by brand, which all saw a few days’ worth of clicks but are no longer generating any impressions. Products belonging to those brands are still being shown in Ad Group 1.

We thought each of these auto targeted brand ad groups would be “pulled out” from the main campaign so we could target bids on them better. Although that doesn’t seem to be happening, we’re still seeing a revenue increase.

Any light you could shed would be very welcome!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It looks like you've run into the same thing I ran into.

Though I've started a bit differently.

My initial setup was (ad group / product target / bid):

All products / All products / lowest bid in the campaign
Product 1 / Product 1 / custom bid
Product n / Product n / custom bid

That was hard to manage, bid-wise. Trying to bid based on margin per sale and estimated conversion rate was not something one could do on a daily basis. Even on a weekly basis it's a challenge, but it's doable.

So I moved from the initial setup to the following:

Brand 1 / Target brand 1 / custom bid
Brand n / Target brand n / custom bid

No impressions for the brands ad groups. Which I found strange. So I had to resort to something like this:

Brand 1 / multiple targets, for each product from that brand / custom bid
Brand n / multiple targets, for each product from that brand / custom bid

This approach got things started again for me, and I can have brand ad groups and product targets.

However, weirdly enough, in another account with a similarly constructed feed, but a different brand, ads do show for the Brand ad group / Brand target structure.

Now that I've seen you encounter the same issue (if I understood it correctly) and after seeing it work in a different account, I guess it's time to have a chat with support about it, just to clear things up.

Moving to your better performance phenomenon, it may be due to the campaign "maturing" a bit. I've seen that with PLAs. After a while, if your ads perform well, you'll see that the campaign kind of "wakes up". Several times I have seen the same thing with PLA campaigns: they don't start as soon as text ads, they go gently for a while and then they start doing better and better.

I am convinced that once the system is able to determine how your campaign performs, both in absolute terms and with regards to other advertisers it begins to serve them more often and in better positions.

On the other hand, for poor performing campaigns, I'm pretty sure other see quite the opposite (a decrease in performance).

And let's not forget that Black Friday & the shopping spree is almost upon us, so maybe it's also related to a bigger appetite for shopping.

Or all of the above. And then some Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think we are seeing the same issue, yes. I guess I'll continue to tweak the set up until we find the right format! Thanks again for your response - it has helped to think it through step by step.

Cheers,

Carrie