AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

weird queries in Search term report

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just started new campaign last Monday and make a search terms report today.

And I've found something weird on it. Here's sample queries that I got from top queries in search terms report.

appliances refrigeration refrigerators side by side refrigerators

appliances refrigeration refrigerators top freezer refrigerators

appliances refrigeration refrigerators french door refrigerators

appliances cooking ranges electric ranges

appliances dishwashers & disposers dishwashers built in dishwashers

appliances washers & dryers special buys

appliances refrigeration refrigerators bottom freezer refrigerators

appliances washers & dryers dryers electric dryers

appliances refrigeration refrigerators top freezer refrigerators

appliances cooking microwaves over the range microwaves

appliances washers & dryers washers front load washers

appliances cooking ranges gas ranges

Look at that. A lot of people have been searched for these long keywords and I thought it doesn't make sense.

So, I tryed to search for these keywords on Google to find out what's going on.

What I found is interestingly all these keywords are exactly same as the words in URLs of one specific retailer. For example,

www.retailer.com/appliances-refrigeration-refrigerators-side-by-side-refrigerators/~~~~

www.retailer.com/appliances-cooking-ranges-electric-ranges/~~~~

These kind of keywords have high impressions and low CTR, so I will exclude them. But I want to know what it is. Can anyone tell me about this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: weird queries in Search term report

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hallo ArtinoidMan

The first thing that comes in my mind, is that someone from that company is testing in Google if all URL´s are tracked by Google search engine. Kind of SEO testing?
Can you exclude IP addresses from that company?

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

They test their URL by clicking his Ads ? Search terms does not show keywords that received impressions , only clicks.

These can come from the google suggestion tool that adds text when you type a word or two , it automatically generates a suggested search string that is most frequently searched , and people might click on them instead of continuing to type what they have in mind.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Elja

Thanks for your thought.

That company, the retailer is Homedepot.com.
Ant I don't think that they have been testing something and it has affected to us.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Reaction to Search terms does not show keywords that received impressions
ArtinoidMan writes they have low CTR. So they often did not click.

Did you test this? When I look at Google suggestion tool with this keywords, I see total other suggestions. But maybe ArtinoidMan can test that.

I was thinking about some tool too. But why did they have put these keywords in Google search engine? Why do that?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Adrian,

It could be right. But sample keywords I listed above are just a part of over 100 keywords with same pattern and they have had almost 5% of total impressions. Isn't it too much?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
/ELja

That's what I think.

By the way, you can also test it. just copy the one of the above list and search it on Google.
You can find Homedepot.com at the top 3 in search result and exactly same words in URL.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi ArtinoidMan,
That was one of the fist things I did when I read your question. And at the same time I saw you were talking about Homedepot

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Artinoidman;  Your ad is triggered by these search terms because one or more of your keywords match(es) these search terms . This is typical to "broad match" keywords in which the list of synonyms is endless... . For example under the keyword "fridge" you can find all brad names as well as all kitchen appliances....Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
They are mostly from "search" partners. Not really search as far as I'm concerned. What I've found is that those "searches" most often match a particular page's title tag.

You mention Home Depot but I doubt they are displaying Adwords ads on their site. More likely suspects are classifieds and aggregate sites like Nextag.

When you do a search on those keywords, put them inside quotes. You should have better results. Check the resulting domains to see if they display Adwords. A page with that exact title is usually at or near the top. That's your most likely suspect of where those impressions and clicks come from.

If you don't want to show to search partners, probably wise in this case, simply uncheck that option box in the settings. If you still want to target some of those pages, the best way is to create a group for each with the "search term" as a keyword in phrase and exact matches. Don't use broad match. Knowing the particular page you are targeting means you can create an ad fitting that page. I've had success with this in the past.