AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

using multiple similar MBM keywords in the same ad group?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I would like to create an ad group: Biology Tutor. I will have 1 ad, that has to do with the terms: biology, tutor, private, toronto. My 1 ad will be highly specific for these terms.

For my keyword list, I would like to use these three keywords:

1. +biology +tutor

2. +biology +tutor +private

3. +biology +tutor +private +toronto

1. As you can see, +biology +tutor is the central one, and I would like to capture all searches that have anything to do with a biology tutor.

2. I included +biology +tutor +private because I would like to specifically capture all searches that have anything to do with a private biology tutor.

3. I included +biology +tutor +private +toronto because I would like to specifically capture all searches that have anything to do with a private biology tutor in toronto.

As you can see, I am using modified broad match, and each keyword adds a term to make a more specific modified broad match. I am aware that if someone were to search "private biology tutor in toronto", it would match best with keyword 3., but technically it would also match keyword 2. and 1.

Since it matches all three keywords, does Google Adwords know to automatically pick the most specific keyword as the match (which is keyword 3 in this case), or since it matches all three keywords, would this cause some kind of competition and raise my bid price?

Thank you!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eugene A
September 2016

using multiple similar MMBM keywords in the same ad group?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Eugene A

It will automatically pick the best one, and it will not count the bids of each one as separate considerations for the auction in a sense that it will cause two not used to raise the actual cpc of the one selected.  There are many valid reasons for setting it up like you have.  For example, you might find it's worth bidding more for number 2 than number 1. 

using multiple similar MMBM keywords in the same ad group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David K,

Thank you for the quick reply, and thank you for confirming that having these similar keywords will not compete with each other in the same ad group.

I have a follow up question if you don't mind. Since all of my keywords are modified broad match, and I basically want to match any search that "contains" my key terms, is there any purpose in including phrase matches and exact matches (ex. "private biology tutor" and [private biology tutor] in my ad group? Or can I just exclusively have modified broad match keywords? Will the CPC be cheaper for exact/phrase matches compared to MBM?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You wouldn't need to add the exact or phrase match keywords to gain coverage on those phrases.  CPCs are determined at each auction, so when the search term matches your MBM keyword exactly, you're likely to pay a lower CPC in that auction than when the search term is less close to your targeted keyword.

There are some potential reasons for adding them, depending on your situation. For example, if there was a phrase that signaled such strong intent that you wanted to bid significantly higher for that exact search term, then you might choose to add the exact match version to be able to control that bid.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Eugene A

@Michael H pretty much nailed it. The main reason for drilling out exact and phrase match keywords is bid control. One thing I can add to that is QS consideration.  For example, whatever the QS is for +private +biology +tutor will apply to every query that it triggers an ad for.  Drilling out to specific exact match may receive a higher QS, and therefore a lower CPC compared to if you left it covered under the BMM with the same or similar bid. Hope that makes sense.