6.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

unwanted placements

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi i hope any one here will help me deal with my campaign because i started to feel that i invested horribly in AdWords.

after running my campaign from September until this moment i received ZERO positive responses and after calling google  office here in dubai many times and after so many wrong advices i am only 2000 USD short.

as example i called last month telling them i have no response from my adds so the gentleman from google told me but you have very good impressions from mobile devices "you should improve your bid on mobile devices"

so i did and nothing changed except for the bill that keeps going up when i called this week they said hmmmmmmm lets lookinto your automatic placements, and this is when i saw where my money went thousands of websites that have nothing to do with my business at all, i saw 111 clicks on FAKE website 

so i said fine why no one told me how to clean up my god **bleep** placements ?

he answered with AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

nevermind, now they said you should use targeting and then your adds will only show up on websites that are related to your business so i added topics like engineering and manufacturing and checked the placments for the past few days and there i found another 1000+ websites on my placments that are all also not related to my work 

i am sorry for the long letter,My question is ;

1 - how can i control where my adds are showing ?
2 - how can i avoid my adds showing on thousands of websites that are useless ?

3 - should i keep dumping money in this service ?

again sory for the long letter but money is not coming easy these days but sure as hill google are taking it without trouble 

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Moudar A
September 2015

Re: unwanted placements

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

You can learn about Display network advertising here.

In fact, I would suggest that you read through at least the fundamental learning material for new advertisers before you do any more advertising. As you are learning, the program is more complicated to manage than it might appear. 

In answer to your specific questions:

1. You control where your ads are shown on the Settings tab of your campaign, which is where you select Search advertising or Display advertising or both.

2. You control which websites your Display ads appear on by setting your targeting options carefully (on the Display Network tab of your campaign). You select either Placements, Topics, or Interests & Remarketing, according to your own needs. If your ads are showing on websites that are not performing well for you, you can exclude those. (You can learn about all of these options in the learning material at the link.)

3. No, you should not "dump" money into this or any other service. AdWords can provide great results for advertisers, but the program has a lot of options and features and you are more likely to be successful if you learn about the program before you start advertising. I would suggest that you pause your campaign until you've had a chance to learn the program.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It's easy to get frustrated with AdWords - you are not alone!

I would certainly take Theresa's advice and pause your campaigns until you have got them into better shape.

I must admit I would be very wary of the advice to simply increase your bids on mobile devices.... where is this traffic coming from? I find that unless controlled, lots and lots of impressions and a good number of unwanted clicks come from ad placements on apps.

You can eliminate these with one exclusion - adsenseformobileapps.google.com

At the same time - try to look on the bright side... you've already spent this money - the least you can do is work through the data this has generated and use it to determine where to cut the costs.

You've had clicks (if you've spent $2,000 then you've had quite a few) - look to see what these visitors did once they got to your site. I'm hoping you've got Google Analytics on your site (if not do that immediately too).

Look to see if there are patterns in the data. Do visitors from one campaign spend more time on your site? What is the bounce rate? Where are visitors leaving the site? How many are mobile visitors, and how does their behavior differ from that of the desktop visitors? Where did they come from - which countries, and regions? What time of the day did they visit? How many of them are new visitors and how many are returning visitors? Which placements sent the better performing visitors? All of this data is right there in the numbers.

When you start, there's a lot you've learned. Try to consider your investment to date as market research and it will hurt less ;-)

And then use this research as the basis for campaign improvements going forward.

I have found that for the vast majority of AdWords users, it's almost impossible to get it working "out of the box" - you have to go quite a bit deeper than the "let's get you advertising online in 5 minutes" approach to get a meaningful return on investment.

To underline Theresa's earlier comment - stop the ads, and don't start them again until you have a better understanding of how the program works. I don't mean that to sound patronizing (although I appreciate that it might) it's just really good advice.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

You can learn about Display network advertising here.

In fact, I would suggest that you read through at least the fundamental learning material for new advertisers before you do any more advertising. As you are learning, the program is more complicated to manage than it might appear. 

In answer to your specific questions:

1. You control where your ads are shown on the Settings tab of your campaign, which is where you select Search advertising or Display advertising or both.

2. You control which websites your Display ads appear on by setting your targeting options carefully (on the Display Network tab of your campaign). You select either Placements, Topics, or Interests & Remarketing, according to your own needs. If your ads are showing on websites that are not performing well for you, you can exclude those. (You can learn about all of these options in the learning material at the link.)

3. No, you should not "dump" money into this or any other service. AdWords can provide great results for advertisers, but the program has a lot of options and features and you are more likely to be successful if you learn about the program before you start advertising. I would suggest that you pause your campaign until you've had a chance to learn the program.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your time, sorry for my language as i mentioned before i am a bit frustrated.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It's easy to get frustrated with AdWords - you are not alone!

I would certainly take Theresa's advice and pause your campaigns until you have got them into better shape.

I must admit I would be very wary of the advice to simply increase your bids on mobile devices.... where is this traffic coming from? I find that unless controlled, lots and lots of impressions and a good number of unwanted clicks come from ad placements on apps.

You can eliminate these with one exclusion - adsenseformobileapps.google.com

At the same time - try to look on the bright side... you've already spent this money - the least you can do is work through the data this has generated and use it to determine where to cut the costs.

You've had clicks (if you've spent $2,000 then you've had quite a few) - look to see what these visitors did once they got to your site. I'm hoping you've got Google Analytics on your site (if not do that immediately too).

Look to see if there are patterns in the data. Do visitors from one campaign spend more time on your site? What is the bounce rate? Where are visitors leaving the site? How many are mobile visitors, and how does their behavior differ from that of the desktop visitors? Where did they come from - which countries, and regions? What time of the day did they visit? How many of them are new visitors and how many are returning visitors? Which placements sent the better performing visitors? All of this data is right there in the numbers.

When you start, there's a lot you've learned. Try to consider your investment to date as market research and it will hurt less ;-)

And then use this research as the basis for campaign improvements going forward.

I have found that for the vast majority of AdWords users, it's almost impossible to get it working "out of the box" - you have to go quite a bit deeper than the "let's get you advertising online in 5 minutes" approach to get a meaningful return on investment.

To underline Theresa's earlier comment - stop the ads, and don't start them again until you have a better understanding of how the program works. I don't mean that to sound patronizing (although I appreciate that it might) it's just really good advice.