3.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

too many ad groups in a campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can i have too many ad groups in a campaign? I have a service business that serves over a hundred towns in the area so I have a seperate ad groups for each town. Good idea or bad idea? Should I have these set up in their own campaigns instead? It really seemed to be working well the first few months I set it up but the CPC has really started to go back up this month and one of the phone helpers at Google told me I had too many ad groups in my campaign though others have told me this was the way to do it. Fairly confused right now.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: too many ad groups in a campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Allie,

Welcome here!

Please note that an AdWords account can contain as many as 10,000 campaigns (includes active and paused campaigns) per account, 20,000 ad groups per campaign, and 50 text ads per ad group.

So, to your first query, YES as long as you are not confusing the system with similar themes.

Now, to your second question - is it wise to have different ad groups for different location based keywords? Yes, it's fine. You can theme different adgroups based on area names.

Thanks
Ratan

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Allie,

Welcome to AdWords Community!

As location targeting is taken care at the campaign level, I'd suggest having one ad group for each of your services and try using keywords that are related to the service, rather than the location. That way, you wouldn't end up with too many combinations of service related & location specific terms. Please follow this article for more info on account structuring.

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply Ratan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth, the problem I would still have with your suggestion is serving the ads with the correct town names in them (towing - bloomington, towing - wilmington, etc.) Any further suggestions? Do I need to set up my geos as seperate campaigns?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Allie,

What are the locations you're targeting at the campaign level? If they're cities, I'd suggest creating one campaign per city and have keywords related to your service, rather than location based. That way, you can also ensure a dedicated budget is available for each city. Please refer this thread where a similar question was addressed by one of our TC.

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Allie G
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Allie,

I agree with Sumanth. I would create new campaigns for each city and then copy over the ad groups that you have already created for those locations. If you use the AdWords editor, you can simply copy and paste the ad groups and then pause your old campaign. Since the ad groups have been copied and pasted, you won't have to worry about writing new ads. Either way, though, you will still have ad groups and can still show your local ad to the appropriate searchers.

There is a lot of flexibility that comes with creating new campaigns for each location. Budgeting and geo-targeting are two of the many perks.

Also, since you have them all in one campaign now, I assume you are targeting long tail terms that include the location information, such as "Call a Tow Truck in Bloomington, Indiana" but if you have the geotargeting set at the campaign level, you can test using keywords such as "Call a Tow Truck" without specifying locations (since you already know you are targeting the appropriate geography). Those types of terms will have more volume and can help you increase leads.

Hope this helps!
Amy Bishop, Clix Marketing