AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

strategy for top position to be maintained all day long.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

some advertisers maintain the 1st position on Google all day and I was wondering what would might be their bidding strategy. Would it be open unlimited budget and bidding, set as the only priority the maintenance of this position?

Re: strategy for top position to be maintained all day long.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mariakl,

Unfortunately the exact information you're looking for isn't readily available - Google will not release the Bidding and/or Budget Settings and Strategies for any of their advertisers. Fortunately they do provide us with the Auction Insights Report.  The Auction Insights Report will give you some statistics about other advertisers who compete in the same Keyword auctions as yourself (more information here).

For advertisers who do appear #1 all day long, you can assume a few things are probably true - 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much for the great insight. Is it fair to assume that they allow adwords to adjust bids to ensure the top position is maintained while they set a daily budget is set high enough to allow this to happen?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mariakl,
It's possible that they're using Automated Rules or some sort of AdWords Bid Strategy to maintain that positioning, but it's impossible to tell for sure how they're adjusting their Max CPC Bids.  

It is fair to say that they consistently maintain a high enough Daily Budget to allow their Ads to serve all day long.

If you're looking to create your own Bid Strategy, I'd recommend setting it off of your advertising goals, not necessarily what your competition is doing.  They may have different ROI goals than you and thus your strategies will be different.