AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

should I use more than two ads in ad split test???

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

should I use more than two ads in ad split test???

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: should I use more than two ads in ad split test???

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sam,

I personally suggest sticking to two ad variations at a time but some advertisers will recommend using three. If you use any more than that then it can become harder to actually conduct the tests as traffic becomes split thinly, there are more variables to consider and it can simply become overwhelming across many ad groups.

I find that sticking to two allows you to make quicker decisions and replace ads on a more regular basis (after significant data has been accumulated each time).

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @sam d I'm one of those advertisers that recommends using three (sorry @ScottyD).

My reasoning is that more variations allows you to have two that are very similar and one that's not so similar, which makes a decision more reliable.  On occasion I've even had 4 or more.

A lot depends upon how many Groups you have in the Account, how much time you have to manage and so on, but I'd recommend you never stop testing...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello @sam d,

I agree with both Scott and Jon. Smiley Happy 

If an account is on low budget, it may take many days to accumulate enough impressions/clicks before you could decide which is your best performing ad(s). On the contrary, if an account has no limitation of budget is confined only by an improving ROI, it takes a few hours to get hundreds of clicks. 

Hence, in bigger accounts I go by more than 2 two ads as Jon said. And in smaller accounts, I go by just 2 ads as Scott said because adding more than two simply delays your testing period.

It also depends on several other factors like - how much time you have for the management, how much freedom you have from the advertiser to test, explore, and implement.

My two cents.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.