AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

should I have my ads targeted at the city level or town level?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I own a contracting company in Chicago and I was wondering if I should I have my ads targeted at the city level (which would be Chicago) or narrow it down even more to the town level? For instance there is a town called Bridgeport in Chicago. Should I have it so that anyone in Chicago will see the headline "Chicago Plumber" (if my company was a plumber) or should I drill down as narrow as possible so anyone in Bridgeport will see the headline "Bridgeport Plumber"?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: should I have my ads targeted at the city level or town level?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I would prefer you go ahead with town level. As you target specific towns, the chances of getting relevant customers are high and also it increases your Click Through Rate. If someone looking for "Bridgeport Plumber" will tend to click on an ad that shows "Bridgeport Plumber" than "Chicago Plumber".

You may want to have many Adgroup Splitups with keywords with specific geo modifier (bridgeport plumber) per adgroup and create ads reflecting your geo modifier for the adgroup.

Thanks,
Balu.
http://www.locsea.com/blog.php

Re: should I have my ads targeted at the city level or town level?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Whilst I would agree with Balu's recommendation - I would encourage you to test... run both options side by side and see which gets the best results.

Remember by "best results" we might not be looking at the sheer number of clicks, but how likely those clicks are to convert into business.