AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

should I create 2 campaigns, one for desktops and one mobile?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I have a few questions, first, I wondering if I should create 2 campaigns. One would target desktops and search only.

The other would target mobile and use enhanced features, use google forwarding number.

I wondering if I should do this because I am targeting the same keywords. Will one campaign interfere with the other?

Also, I figure if I set up 2 campaigns, I can avoid my mobile ads showing up on desktops and having to pay $1.00 per call?

Just checking to see how other might go about doing this?

Thanks In Advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: should I create 2 campaigns, one for desktops and one mobile?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I think it's a good idea to have 2 Ad Groups. Additionally, since your keywords are the same, I would suggest that use two word keywords in one group. These would generate more impressions, CPC would be low, but the relevance would be low as well. In the other one, use three word keywords, which are more expensive but more relevant also. A mix of the two can really optimise your campaign.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pierre W
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Pierre,

>> I wondering if I should create 2 campaigns. <<

You may have good reasons to do so. E.g. you may want to use different budgets, or time schedules.

>> Will one campaign interfere with the other? <<

If the "targeted" devices are different the campaigns will not be able to interfere with each other.

>> I figure if I set up 2 campaigns, I can avoid my mobile ads showing up on desktops <<

If you wish to set up a separate enhanced *mobile* campaign you are advised to set the bid lower and apply a +300% mobile bid adjustment (highest option), after selecting the Settings tab and subsequently the Devices sub-tab. That way this campaign will be targeting mobiles devices primarily, and computers will only be targeted by a very low bid and probability.  . 

Best,

Lakatos

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

" I can avoid my mobile ads showing up on desktops and having to pay $1.00 per call?"

From this help page you can learn that if the campaign is in it's "Enhanced" setting, destkop calls via forwarding number, are free

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052?hl=en

Pricing

It's free to add call extensions with Google forwarding phone numbers to your ads. For legacy campaigns, there is a flat fee of $1.00, £1.00, €1.00, or local currency equivalent for each call that's manually dialed to the forwarding phone number when it's shown on desktop or laptop computers and tablets. For enhanced campaigns, this fee is waived.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I think I'm not understanding the difference between legacy and enhanced campaigns.

I thought legacy is just for desk top searches.

and enhanced is for mobile.

The reason, I want desktop for my ads because people are going to click the ad and go to my website and I have my phone number there.

With mobile, customers won't see my phone number on a click to call.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

That's a nice tip Vineet, to use 2 keyword phrase in one ad group and 3 word phrase is another ad group.

Do you use exact match or modified +? or I guess use what ever works?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pierre W
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You get more impression with the modified +

All legacy (old) campaigns will automatically be converted to the enhanced (new) type, by the end of July, as Google announced.

In enhanced you can run only from desktop if you don't check the "Mobile" box or you can run the campaign on desktop+mobile together. The counter measure is this : for desktop set low prices and for mobile you can adjust the bid to up to +300 % so if you know that on mobile you get clicks for 3 $ a click, just set the keyword to 1$ and use the +300% bid increase for mobile. I know it sounds complicated but it isn't , using a VCR was more complicated in the 80s.

Read here about bid adjustments

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Hope this helps