AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

sending all question searches to one ad group

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I want to be able to seperate searches that are questions.  I have an ad group that pulls in a lot of questions with phrase matches.  Lets say I have a term "three keyword phrase"  Now this can bring up all kinds of search phrases any where from 3 to 15 words.  How can I make an ad group that just gets those questions.  There is no way I can know what they will ask every day there are new ones. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by PPCBossman (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: sending all question searches to one ad group

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

At fisrt I had the same idea about the two ad group and negative question words but came to the same conclusion as the other poster.  If you create two identical ad group with one having negatives then the non questions terms would just show up in both ad groups.  It seems ther is no way to have one ad group just for questions unless you know what the question is.  I can however keep doing research to find out common root questions.

View solution in original post

Match Type

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I feel that you need to learn match type of keywords.  If you are using a normal keyword ( called Braod match) the your ads will be shown to all related keywords . Along with Match type , you also need to learn what is Nagatie keywords.

Read here for match type - http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Read about Negative keywrods- http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Good morning.

I don't think there's any way you can funnel all of those particular queries to one Ad Group. You can try, by using the question terms in conjunction with your product terms as phrase and/or modified broad match.

For example, the phrase matches that you seem repeatedly in longer search queries:

"how do I buy red shoes"

"where do I buy red shoes"

To capture the outliers, you could experiment with different forms in modified broad match:

+how +do +I +buy +red +shoes

+where +buy +red +shoes

You'll need to think through your modified broad match keywords carefully, to decide which terms to include that will capture the "question" searches in your case. (And pay attention to your bidding, to avoid siphoning off traffic for other search terms.)

I'm not certain how this will actually work, but it should help to funnel the majority of the questions the way you want.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

here's how you do it:

create two adgroups.

in one adgroup, put these as -ve keywords:

how

where

why

who

?

in the other adgroup:

1. don't put any -ve KWs.

2. make sure each KW has a +how, +why, +where, +what, +who, or a "+?"

eg.

AdGroup 1:

KW: blue widgets

-ve KWs :how, where, why, who, ?

AdGroup 2:

KWs:  +how blue widgets,

+where blue widgets

blue widgets +?

+where blue widgets

thats it.

this will ensure all questions go to the adgroup 2, and this adgroup 1 will get only the non-question searches.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

I would agree except that I would caution TX-ppcguy to put the appropriate + in front of each word in the modified broad keyword phrase.

Putting the + sign only in front of the query indicator leaves those phrases open to a huge variety of search questions, not all of which are going to be appropriate for their purposes. (Only individual words that have the + sign are required in Modified Broad match. Those without the plus sign are treated as regular Broad match--in other words, they're "matched" to user search queries however the software decides to match them.)

P.S. The negative keywords at the Ad Group level are a good idea. The only reason I did't suggest it was that the original post said that new/different questions showed up in the search queries each day. Adding the negative keywords to the original Ad Group will mean that they can't continue identifying and combing out those queries.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Couldn't you can just use the w's as the negative keywords in the non-question adgroup?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

if he did that alone, both the adgroups would compete for the normal queries.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I'll just throw in my 2c - I doubt very much that Google will recognise the ? as a keyword; we know that punctuation and many English articles and prepositions, etc. are ignored for search so I'd be very surprised if you could use a symbol such as the query as a positive or negative keyword.

Even if it does work as a keyword, I doubt it'd be any use in search since it would (almost always) be "attached" to the last word of the search term, not a word on its own, e.g. where can I buy blue widgets? and we know keywords don't have a wildcard behaviour type.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by PPCBossman (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

At fisrt I had the same idea about the two ad group and negative question words but came to the same conclusion as the other poster.  If you create two identical ad group with one having negatives then the non questions terms would just show up in both ad groups.  It seems ther is no way to have one ad group just for questions unless you know what the question is.  I can however keep doing research to find out common root questions.