4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

segment remarketing lists by product category

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run marketing for an eCommerce store that has multiple product categories.  The site hierarchy is something like:

homepage > product category page > product sub-category page > product page

or:

myhomeimprovementsite.com > lawn care > lawn mowers > 15hp push mower 1000 deluxe

the above was just an example but I'm trying to setup category specific remarketing lists for every product category we have and remarket to people that view products in those categories.  I've been kicking around ideas in my head about where/how to place the pixels but i'm wondering how to fix the overlap issue wherein a customer browses 'lawn care' and 'washers and dryers' - i guess they would just be on both lists and maybe that overlap is ok?  Just looking for some brainstorming/best practices help.

Thanks

Re: segment remarketing lists by product category

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

jamesmerr wrote:

myhomeimprovementsite.com > lawn care > lawn mowers > 15hp push mower 1000 deluxe

If you have products urls like:

myhomeimprovementsite.com/lawn-care/lawn-mowers/15hp+push+mower+1000+deluxe.html

you can create remarketing lists using URL rules like

myhomeimprovementsite.com/lawn-care/

or also subcategories:

myhomeimprovementsite.com/lawn-care/lawn-mowers/

If your products URL do not carry categories, you can use custom parameters to identify category per product page:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3111920?hl=en#standard_parameters

jamesmerr wrote:

i'm wondering how to fix the overlap issue wherein a customer browses 'lawn care' and 'washers and dryers' - i guess they would just be on both lists and maybe that overlap is ok? 

its not a problem, just keep it on both lists - someone interested in 'lawn care'  is still eligible to see related ads even after visiting another category on your site. 

You can use the standard remarketing