AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

reducing or eliminating super long tail queries

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We get a lot of relevant clicks, which includes what I would consider relevant long tail queries.

That being said, we also get some what I will call super long tail queries. These are sometimes over 10 words and are super specific as to what the customer is looking for. These obviously are almost always one impression, one click due to their very specific nature, but they add up across all of our campaigns.

Is there a way we can limit the length of queries we show up for that anyone has found. I would rather show up for short and regular long tail without showing for these super specific queries (since it makes it less likely we will have a product to meet their very specific exact needs).

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: reducing or eliminating super long tail queries

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian,

One thing to recommend is to start adding more exact match terms instead of phrase or broad to eliminate the long keyword strings or you can add negative keywords for certain keywords that show up commonly in these strings to avoid the sentence-like structures you see now.

Another thing to consider is to add a negative audience or change your daily budget to avoid invalid clicks as mentioned in this post https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/How-to-Exclude-Long-Tail-Keywords...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Exact match will do that for you. Make sure you are negativing out anything that you don't offer. You can have about 110k negatives applied to a campaign when combined with Negative Keyword Lists, use that space. Use specific Broad Match Modifiers or Phrase Matches. Measure how much of your time it is worth spending being concerned about them by determine how much of your spend goes towards hyper-specific search terms.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yea use a lot of the more advanced targeting mechanisms available through adwords already including a lot of broadmatch modifiers, phrase, and exact match. Unfortunately some of the super long tail stuff still gets through (mostly bc of the modifiers). I was just curious if there was a setting I was not aware of and had never seen to limit these 100% of the time.

Thanks for your help guys!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
HI Brian,

Sadly there is no way to control the length of those long tail's Smiley Sad Best way is to use Exact Match as Chris and Jordan mentioned.

FWIW (and you probably already know this) but adding negatives for commonly used phrases or words that are irrelevant in your long tail's is always a good idea too.

Also one interesting thing I happened to notice long ago when analyzing very long tail keywords in my SQR is that the most of the long tail stuff seems to come from the Search Partner network. Have you ever tried to segment the search query report by network (with partners) to see if those long tails are generated from the Partner network? If you find that they are, they are irrelevant for the most part, and your not converting on the partner network you may want to consider disabling it under your campaign settings section.

Good Luck,

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'