Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

real conversion value/cost

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Presently I aim for a conversion value/cost of 10, meaning conversion value is 10 times cost. However, I suspect that adwords and analytics are under-reporting my real conversion value due to visitors returning via other sources. For example, I get a certain number of conversions via email marketing, but those visitors would have found my website prior to that email in order to sign up for the email list, and yet the source credited with the conversion is my email marketing campaign. And then there are tons of "direct" visitors who probably are clicking bookmarks from previous visits. I'm unclear as to how Analytics treats visitors after x number of days, and obviously some returning visitors are treated as new visitors due to a changed IP address, cleared cookies, or different computer. 

I would love to hear from other adwords users. How do you roughly factor in these types of things? It would seem to me that other than cancelled orders the conversion value is always going to be somewhat underreported for adwords. The question is, by how much?

The reason I ask is I find it very hard to hit the conversion value/cost point of 10, but I suspect that adwords is really contributing to more sales than it indicates, perhaps 50% or 100% more. As I speed up and slow down my adwords campaigns I notice a simiilar change in the traffic and conversions from google organic and my google product feed.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: real conversion value/cost

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
The GA cookie is 6 months.

Therefore you can track the attributed conversions far longer down the line than with AdWords.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, I never looked at that. That's what I need! Longer than 30 days lag would probably help, but 30 days it probably good enough to get a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
The GA cookie is 6 months.

Therefore you can track the attributed conversions far longer down the line than with AdWords.

Hope that helps.